Bad backup set header found

I use Retrospect Express Backup version 5.6.132 to backup a Dell Inspiron 5000 to a Sony CRX1600L CD-RW drive connected by a FireWire card. The OS is Windows 2000 Professional with service pack 2. When I perform a recycle backup with verification and data compression on, I have twice received the error message: Bad backup set header found (0xc005db40) at 186,593 and Bad backup set header found (0xda5cf6a9) at 445,965.

Three questions: (1) What causes this under with FireWire as I note the other discussions refer to SCSI? (2) Does this error message, which appears to be produced during verification, mean the backup is bad? (3) Is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Ken

Bad backup set header errors indicate Retrospect encountered a missing or damaged file header, which contains information such as the file's name and size. These issues can occur via any interface (SCSI, Firewire, USB, IDE). The bad backup set header errors you are receiving are not pinpointing any specific files, which means it is not possible to know exactly while files were improperly copied. You should not trust the integrity of this backup.

We troubleshoot these as we do any other hardware-related error, by trying to pinpoint the source. The first place to look is the media itself. Try another CD. Does that one give the error as well? Does this error occur on all CD's? If so, move on to other device troubleshooting.

Update Firewire card drivers.. Is this on a Firewire hub? If so, plug it directly into the computer. Try a backup. Does this work?

Try a different firewire cable from the PC to the CD drive.

Try the drive on another PC.

If you still get these errors after trying all these steps, the problem is with your drive. The purpose of this troubleshooting is to pinpoint what variable is causing the errors, and at the end, the only variable left is the drive itself.

I will start the diagnostic process with the CD-RW's, however, most of the backups span multiple CD's. Is there anything in the error message (Bad backup set header found (0xc005ab40) at 186,593) that can help me pinpoint on which CD the error occurred. I am using 4X, 700 MB CD-RW's.

The only way to find out which CD has the Bad Backup Set Headers is to run a manual verify of your CD's from Tools > Verify. Keep an eye on the operations log after you verify each CD to determine where the errors pop up. In other words, start the verify, and after the first disc has completed, check the log for errors. If there are bad header errors, then you know that there are incomplete files on this CD. Then continue by verifying CD 2 and checking the log and so on.

The bigger issue is determining why you are actually getting these errors through troubleshooting rather then determining exactly which CD's have files with bad headers.

Archived