Can't Read error -1010

mikezZ1

I have been using Retrospect Prof 7.6.111 on a Dell XPS Gen4 with WinXP Pro sp3 (32bit) to backup up to USB Seagate 500MB and WD 160 MB drives for years without problems except for a few compare errors. Recently I acquired WD Elements 4 TB drive and could not successfully complete a backup without

File "xxx": can't read, error -1010 (API request bad); Trouble reading files, error -1010 (API request bad) errors during copy.

I tried a borrowed WD 3TB on only 9 GB backup and it copied but got the error when comparing.

Tried re-formatting with 512k sectors and then 2 partitions of 1.9 and 1.8 TB got same error so I'm guessing it is not a problem with XP and the drive being over 2GBs..

Drive seems to work fine when manually copying files and only seems to have a problem with Retrospect. Even having the new WD drive plugged in and backing up to the old Seagate drive causes the error in Retrospect. Both are drives connected to built-in USB2 ports, I was planning in installing a USB 3.0 host card after testing the new drive.

Has anyone else came across the -1010 error? WD tech sup said it does not sound like a Windows error but rather a Retrospect error.

Thanks.

Do you know where I can get an official Retrospect error list? The site above suggests using the system tool restore point. For some reason system restore only shows January 2016 so if I really needed a restore, I would have to use Retrospect but I'm not sure I need to. I don't think that I would download a utility that had my exact error code in it's name, sounds a little odd!

Thanks

Do your original Seagate and WD drives still work without issue without eiher of the new drives connected? You only say they don't work with one of the new drives connected at the same time. If they still do then this would tend to indicate to me either hardware or software problems with supporting large (>2TB) disks.

Given the age of your hardware and OS and the technical limitations it has I would be inclined to limiting the USB drive size to 2TB or less to give the best chance of compatibility.

• Like 1

My original Seagate USB backup drive and the WD C: drive work fine. The new WD drive was partitioned to have 1.9TB and smaller partitions and also formatted with 512k sectors. The new drive copies fine manually. I suppose I could dump Retrospect and use a free backup utility like Iperius but that has no search capabilities, though it will do imcrimental backups.

I also just borrowed a new Seagate (6TB) and got the same error. I checked and the new drives are both MBR format. It seems to be only Retrospect having a problem with the new drives, even when backup up to a 1.8TB partition. The error seems to be when reading the C drive. Even backing up to my old 500MB drive causes the error when the new drive is connected to the usb port. That is the puzzling part, just having the drive connected but unused fouls up Retrospect. I was thinking of trying the trial of Retrospect 10.5 but when I bought 9.5 for a new computer, the sales department told me to install that on the new windows 7 computer, not on the old one with XP. This lead me to think that the new versions were not really compatible with XP.

My original Seagate USB backup drive and the WD C: drive work fine.

This would seem to confirm that this machine does not reliably support large physical disks. Hence my recommendation to use 2TB or smaller.

Are you able to borrow a 2TB disk to try? (A 2TB drive should be using native 512 byte physical sectors and still be within the 32-bit sector addressing limit.)

The new WD drive was partitioned to have 1.9TB and smaller partitions and also formatted with 512k sectors.

Are you talking about the physical disk sectors or the default allocation unit you specified when formatting the partition?

The new drive copies fine manually.

There is much less system overhead involved when manually copying to and from the drive than when Retrospect is accessing the drive.

Retrospect makes very heavy demands on system resources when it is running a backup and in so doing is quite capable of exposing hardware, firmware and software flaws that would not otherwise cause problems.

I suppose I could dump Retrospect and use a free backup utility like Iperius but that has no search capabilities, though it will do incremental backups.

The underlying problem will still exist.

I also just borrowed a new Seagate (6TB) and got the same error.

More evidence that this machine does not reliably support large physical disks.

I checked and the new drives are both MBR format.

Shouldn't make any difference to Retrospect but is important to how the OS handles a drive.

It seems to be only Retrospect having a problem with the new drives, even when backup up to a 1.8TB partition. The error seems to be when reading the C drive.

Check the Windows Event Logs to see if there are any disk or USB related errors recorded when the Retrospect failure occurs. If you are lucky it may give some indication to what hardware or software is failing.

Even backing up to my old 500MB drive causes the error when the new drive is connected to the usb port. That is the puzzling part, just having the drive connected but unused fouls up Retrospect.

May be a flaw in the USB chipset on the motherboard or the USB drivers that is being triggered by the presence of the 4TB or 6TB drive.

I was thinking of trying the trial of Retrospect 10.5 but when I bought 9.5 for a new computer, the sales department told me to install that on the new windows 7 computer, not on the old one with XP. This lead me to think that the new versions were not really compatible with XP.

You could try the Retrospect 10.5 Trial but if the problem is the underlying system then the problem will persist.

• Like 1