Recurring error on Mac OS X "El Capitan" client in Retro 12.5.0

I have a client that regularly gives me error code -530, backup client not found. It seems what is actually meant is that there is trouble with the media, I'm presuming. Here's why, the log. Please advise if that's what it means and if this loss of backup functionality error - 530, has other possible causes. 

When I restore the client (remove and reinstall) it works for awhile, then fails again. It seems from the log entry that this refers, not to the client but to the backup media. Isn't this a bit confusing? I know that it confused me. 

11/8/15 15:08:50: Execution completed successfully

+  Normal backup using Daily JaneMac [iMac] at 11/8/15, 15:08:55 (Activity Thread 1)
    To Backup Set iMac Backup...
    Can't access backup client apple’s iMac, error -530 (backup client not found)
    11/8/15 15:11:22: Execution incomplete
  IFaceIPUpdate: gethostbyname error 1, (Authoritative Answer Host not found), hostname = ML-server.private
  IFaceIPUpdate: gethostbyname error 1, (Authoritative Answer Host not found), hostname = ML-server.private

As to the media not being available... Seems OK to me. Tried a repair and got the following... 

+  Executing Rebuild at 11/8/15, 16:40:13 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set iMac Backup...
    Scanned /Volumes/LaCie Backup 9-1/Retrospect/iMac Backup/1-iMac Backup up to backup set data file index 893
    11/8/15 16:40:20: Finished scanning backup set data files
    Adding to 479.9 GB of backup set data, starting at file index 894
    11/8/15 16:40:21: Execution completed successfully
    Duration: 00:00:06

Repairing the database of the drive as above resolved the problem temporarily. Will it hold? It hasn't in the past. Is there something I can do? 

-530 (backup client not found) means just that: The client is not available on the network. It might be turned off, it might be offline, it might be on a part of the network that is temporarily unavailable, the network cable has been unplugged, you name it...

All I did to get the client to work was to rebuild the client's database. It seems to be OK now. It wasn't the issues you mentioned (unavailable). I always could see it via Bonjour in Retrospect or elsewhere. 

All I did to get the client to work was to rebuild the client's database. It seems to be OK now. It wasn't the issues you mentioned (unavailable). I always could see it via Bonjour in Retrospect or elsewhere. 

I'm glad it's OK now.

I'm not using you version, so out of curiosity: How did you rebuild the client's database?

But using bonjour or see it in Retrospect's windows isn't using the same mechanism as actually connect to perform a backup. 

I'm running into this error on a new machine now so I'm also curious to know what you did to fix it. 

None of the above. It isn't a network cable. It keep getting messed up. It usually happens when the client is being woken up while asleep. Once it happens (the error), I have to forget the client, uninstall/reinstall Retro Client from scratch, set it up for first access. Then it's good for a while, until the next time. The client is always visible from the network, but not in Retro. Any other advice? It seems isolated to one client. 

H

• 4 months later...

I have been experiencing this issue as well at 2 different clients. It only affects OSX 10.11 El Capitan network clients. What I have found is that even after the initial Retrospect client v12.5 it will work initially but then for some reason (unknown yet - might be the user logging out of their session or possibly restarting their Mac) Retrospect server loses the ability to see the volume on the El Capitan client. Retrospect server can still see the machine itself and the selected volume but if you select a Favorite folder (ie /Users folder) that selected volume will show as offline after one or two successful backup runs, again for reasons unknown yet. Try it yourself and go to Sources/Desktop & Laptops. Toggle the client and you will see the Macintosh HD but if you have selected  a favorite folder under that it will show the offline symbol (electric bolt). Removing the client all together and then adding again will not resolve the issue. It seems to have to do with the client software side.

I've been in touch with Retrospect support and they provided be with a beta test Retrospect Client v12.5.0.210. I installed that (after removing the previousl client installation as I wanted a clean install as possible) however this beta still presents the same issue of losing the selected volume on the El Capitan client. 

If I try to add the Favorite folder again (/Users) I will get an error "Source unavailable or in use. File/Directory not found (-1101). Which is basically whats happening with the existing selected Favorite folder (/Users). It cant be found and therefore shows as Offline.

• 6 months later...

I have the same issues as newbie, and have even tried updating the client to v13, and still no luck. It happens with the same 3 users (out of 50), no matter how many times I reinstall the client, delete the client from the server and re-establish, etc. I clean all vestiges of the client software from the user machine and reinstall and reset the backups and after 1 or 2 backups, it goes back into the unresponsive mode (-1101 error).