Backup hangs on "Preparing to execute..." have left this for days

Hi There,

All of a sudden, our offsite backup no longer works - retrospect sites there with "Preparing to execute..."

Any help would be much appreciated, at this stage, I can't stop the current backup (that's hung) and will have to restart to try and stop retrospect sitting there.

Our normal backups run fine so are not sure what is going on - I've found old posts (v7 and v8) but nothing more recent.

How do we troubleshoot this issue?

MAC OS 10.8.5 Server

Retrospect 10.2.0 (201)

Disk backups

Hi There,

The server had to restart before the Catalogue finished - I was rebuilding it to a new catalogue so have the original intact.

I've searched everywhere for this but can't find an answer - how do you add a catalogue to retrospect?

The Add button tries to create a new one and if I click location, then for some reason the drive that contains the catalogue doesn't appear in the dialogue box even though the drive is mounted on the server.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

• 5 weeks later...

To add an already created catalogue back into Retrospect, go into Media Sets pane, and click on Locate icon, find the catalogue and click OK, or whatever the 'accept' button is.

I find it is best to have the catalogue on the Mac Server's hard disk, with all the other catalogues, that way it is always available. If it is already on your hard disk, then I'd say the catalogue has got corrupted along the way, and a rebuild should fix it.

If that doesn't fix it, please send us a screen shot of the error, along with the log for that session, that should help identify what's going on.

Thanks heaps for the reply Michael - comments below...

To add an already created catalogue back into Retrospect, go into Media Sets pane, and click on Locate icon, find the catalogue and click OK, or whatever the 'accept' button is.

The issue I found is that the drive containing the catalogues wouldn't appear in the 'Locate' window. I could browse and access the drive in the Finder and via other areas of Retrospect but not in the locate window.

I find it is best to have the catalogue on the Mac Server's hard disk, with all the other catalogues, that way it is always available.

I'm no expert (I'm a graphic designer) but after 15 years of managing our server, I no longer keep data on the server system drive if I can help it. This allows for a quick erase and restore via CCC to fix any system issues and means we're back up and running in a matter of minutes. I've spent days trouble shooting issues in the past so have found that restoring back to a snapshot way faster.

If it is already on your hard disk, then I'd say the catalogue has got corrupted along the way, and a rebuild should fix it

As above, the drive containing the catalogues never appeared in the 'Locate' window.

In the end, I just started again and lost the incremental backups of the last three months. A total bummer but the path of least resistance and all that.

Cheers

Ben