How to use Source Groups in a Selectro

x509

I have been trying to use a Source Group as a selector inside the Selecting window for a backup script. The main selector is:

Include everything

+

but always exclude file matching

volume name exactly matches sourcegroup

In picking my conditions, I picked a volume name but put in the Source Group name instead. 

What did I do wrong?  Does it matter if the "source groups container" is a member of the source group, or not?

I really like source groups as the source for a backup script.  I was hoping that I could apply the same approach to Selecting conditions.

Perhaps there is some confusion over the term Volume.

Items in the "Volumes" database seen under configuration are intended to be used as the Sources orDestinations of Backups & Restores.

If you want to Exclude a Source Group from a backup then don't include it in  your Source Selection. Or create another one with only the items you require.

Selectors affect the way Retrospect operates in a filesystem. Here "Volume" refers to a disk volume EG D:\ /Home/

Volumes specified in a selector must match an item Retrospect will come across when "Walking" the filesystem during a backup

I should also mention that Items in Source Groups are only "Aliases" of items in the Computer, Network & Clients sections so you can create as many as you like in various folders/Groups. You can also Nest Groups in a tree-like structure if necessary.

My notes on Selectors may also be useful

http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/151365-how-to-nesting-selectors/

• Like 1

Perhaps there is some confusion over the term Volume.

Items in the "Volumes" database seen under configuration are intended to be used as the Sources orDestinations of Backups & Restores.

If you want to Exclude a Source Group from a backup then don't include it in  your Source Selection. Or create another one with only the items you require.

Selectors affect the way Retrospect operates in a filesystem. Here "Volume" refers to a disk volume EG D:\ /Home/

Volumes specified in a selector must match an item Retrospect will come across when "Walking" the filesystem during a backup

JoTraGo,

Thanks for the response.  (And apologies for mis-spelling Selector in the subject line.) 

Since I saw source groups listed under volumes, I assumed that a source group name was the same as a volume name.

What I was trying to do, verbally, is "back up the entire DATA volume, except for folders 2015 and OUTLOOK."  So I had defined one source group as all the DATA volumes in my network, and a second source group as all the 2015 and Outlook folders in my network.  Is there any way to define a source group where you exclude a subfolder?  That would solve my problem in a very nice way.

OK So you would create your Source Group "Data Volumes" and then drag all the Data Volumes from the Computer, Network & Clients sections as required.

Then Create a Selector which Excludes Folders containing "2015" and Folders containing "Outlook"

You may need to specify those a little more precisely depending on your exact environment

In your backup Job or Script specify your Data Volumes Source group as the Source

Then specify your Selector in the "Selecting" section.

Another approach may be.

If your "Data Volumes" are actual physical volumes mounted on your clients, then by default they will be included in any backup anyway.

Check the Properties fo your Clients in Retro check the Volumes Tab, the default is Desktop which will include every volume visible to the Client OS, you can also make other selections here.

In which case all you need is a Selector which excludes "Data\2015" & "Data\Outlook"