Data corruption: Need to restore but restore steps are confusing

Hello all!

I have two removable drives (300 GB each) that I use with Restrospect Single Server v8.5. I configured my backup stratgey with the help of Retrospect support.

I am only concerned with the current day's work being backed up at the end of the day. I have two backup drives so I can swapped them out every day and take the other offsite. The backup stratgey also is configured so it doesn't matter which backup drive is in the system, since there will be days I forget to take the previous drive out. That way I don't come in the next day and notice an error that no backup took place because I forgot to switch the drives out.

Support recommended I use these settings:

Create two Backup Sets:

DailyBackup1

DailyBackup2

Was told to select Fixed drive though I'm using a removal backup drive
Create a script to run the backup on a schedule.

Must add both Backup Sets to the script. Under Schedule, must set each Backup Set with the same identical schedule, such as M-F for both and set Types to Recycle. Most important part, make sure to select the correct Backup Set for each schedule in the bottom right corner across from the Backup type. This way, the first Backup Set will fail if the correct media is not detected, but then the next scheduled Backup Set with commence within the set time-out period defined in the Preferences (default 5 minutes).

Just wanted to provide the details of the backup process if that may be why I'm stuck in the restore process. So now the restore issue...

Yesterday (7/17/15), the system became infected and so I needed to restore the system. I didnt want to use the Backup drive that was in it for fear it may be infected, so I put in the other backup drive, which was from Wednesday (7/15/15). The restore wizard showed two Backup Sets: DailyBackup1 (No Date) and DailyBackup2 (7/17/15). I didn't understand why Backup1 didn't have a date, but I assumed since it didn't have the latest date of 7/17/15, that it must be the one I wanted to recover from. When I clicked it, the Snapshot said the date was 7/17/15, which confused me. How can that be, this drive was not in the system on 7/17/15. It was last backed up on 7/15/15 (Wed). So I clicked More Snapshot, but it said there was no more. So I tried the other BackupSet, and it said the same thing: Snapshot 7/17/15 and also no additional Snapshots.

So I'm confused, more less lost. I know this one backup drive was not in the system on the day of the infection, so why is Retrospect telling me the Snapshot if from 7/17/15. To make it more confusing for me, if I remove the drive and attempt the restore, it tells me the same thing. So I assume it is getting this data from the Catalog files on the computer. Okay, if that is true, then why does it not recognize that I have a drive with backup data from 7/15/15 (Wed), shouldn't there be a Snapshot for this data?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Mike

• Like 3

It is correct to use "fixed" drive, since "removable" is an old and special type of drive that hardly exists anymore.

What kind of backups do the scripts perform? "Normal" or "Recycle" or something else?

Have you tried to recreate the catalog file from the drive you intend to restore from?

It is correct to use "fixed" drive, since "removable" is an old and special type of drive that hardly exists anymore.

What kind of backups do the scripts perform? "Normal" or "Recycle" or something else?

Have you tried to recreate the catalog file from the drive you intend to restore from?

Recycle for each drive.

Yes, and when I select the drive that has the data from 7/15/15 (Wed) to recreate the Catalog file from, I get an error:

Something along the lines of "Can't recreate because the BackupSet already exists."

I guess that is partially good news since the BackUpSet already exists, but it still doesn't tell me how to get my data off of the backup drive. I looked at the drive to verify it, and all of the files are dated 7/15/15, so I know I have a backup of my data before 7/17/15. It's frustrating knowing all my data is just sitting there and I can't figure out how to restore it.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

You should be given the option to overwrite the existing catalog file when you try to recreate it. I don't understand why that did not happen.

Something along these lines should work:

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb_show/catalog-rebuild-of-a-disk-backup-set-with-grooming

In the long run, you should set up grooming instead of recycling. But you should wait until you have restored the files.