Can't open Retrospect -- always just get Retrospect Dashboard

drmrbrewer

I can no longer seem to open up the main Retrospect application.  When I run Retrospect.exe, I just get the silly Retrospect Dashboard (that is very very laggy on my system and basically useless).  I need to get in to the main application to change a backup setting, because a big backup keeps on doing a refresh type backup every two days and I can't switch it back to incremental.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Because you get the dashboard this suggests the main application is already running. This is most likely because it was automatically launched by the Retrospect Launcher Service to run a script.

It will depend on how the Launcher Service is configured in Preferences if the main application will ever exit by itself. If it does automatically exit then you can launch the main application to make the changes. If it never exits then you will have to force exit it from Windows Task Manager (with the attendant risk of data loss or corruption) before launching the main application to make the changes.

Which version of Retrospect are you running? Which version of Windows are you running it on?

I'm on Retrospect 9.0 and Windows 8.0.  And yes, Retrospect is in the middle of a long backup (last time it ran it was still doing the post-backup comparisons after two days).  Trouble is, this backup repeats every couple of days, so when the current backup ends the next is in danger of starting.  Can I just stop the backup in the Dashboard (click on stop), then go into the main application to change the settings?

And in future, how do I do a one-off refresh type backup of an existing backup?  What I tried was just to edit the backup type in the schedule, and then the next time it ran it was a refresh.  But I want to get it off refresh, and in future just do a one-off refresh.

Thanks.

You should be able to stop the backup from the Dashboard. Whether the 'retrospect.exe' will automatically exit after the script has stopped running (it may take a few minutes for the script to stop due to housekeeping tasks) I think depends on the Preferences settings. If it does not you will have to force exit it from Windows Task Manager.

If by 'refresh' you mean you just want to periodically empty the backup set and start again from scratch the best way would be to leave the backup type as Normal for the script's schedule and then use the Recyle option in the target backup set's Properties dialog to clear the current contents as and when required.

While you are trying to get the script(s) running to your requirements it may want to disable the Launcher Service and leave the main application open continuously so you can monitor operation and make any changes necessary. When everything is working as expected you can then enable the Launcher Service again and let that control when Retrospect is launched.

• 1 month later...

is there a way to run retrospect without the dashboard?

Unless you manually launch Retrospect and leave it running continuously — No.

For Retrospect to be launched automatically but still able to accept user interaction would, from information posted elsewhere on this forum, require a major rewrite of the application to comply with the revised Windows security model that restricts user access to applications that were not directly launched by the user.

In Retrospect preferences you can specify the user-account with which Retrospect will run (Security preferences->Always run Retrospect as the specified user.). If you specify the same user-account you use to login to your computer, Retrospect will launch the application, not the dashboard.