Retrospect is CPU bound

I just upgraded to v12 for the speed improvements.

I started a grooming (matching) and I see the process is at 100% (1 hardware thread), when I have 8 in my MBP and nothing else is running.

This bottleneck has existed for as long as I can remember (I use Retrospect since the Cube).

It is time to make such tasks multicore, at least 4 hardware threads for Desktop.

BTW, I bought Desktop originally instead of Express because it supported tape, and I think it does not now (considering going back to LTO), and I only need to backup 1 or 2 computers.

Thanks

• Like 1

The Desktop version supports a single tape drive. The Single-Server version support a tape library with a single tape drive.

For most tasks, the bottleneck is i/o, not CPU.

I think that Retrospect uses one CPU core per execution unit. Since Desktop is limited to one execution unit, it uses one core.

I can see for many years now in the system monitor that it is limited to 1 hardware thread per activity.

I spend a lot of the time bottlenecked by this, so it is worth optimising (at least in matching, where I was seeing it now). I basically have no use for multiple concurrent activities.