Disaster Recovery cannot get past WADK step in 9.5

JC_VA

I'm unable to get past downloading the WADK step and selecting the copype.cmd file, basically because it never downloads such a file.  I can either install or download the WADK from Microsoft, but NEITHER version comes with this copype.cmd file.

Where do I get that file?

After installation of the ADK copype.cmd lives in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment

(This is for the Windows 8.0 ADK installed on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit but should be the same for the Windows 8.1 ADK.)

Just installed the Windows 8.1 ADK (after uninstalling the Windows 8.0 ADK) and copype.cmd is in the same folder as the Windows 8.0 ADK:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment

When you installed the ADK did you select to install the Windows Preinstallation Environment? (It is selected by default.)

It shouldn't make a difference but I am installing using offline installation option from a download on another system.

Edited by Scillonian

Can you provide the URL where you downloaded 8.1 from?  I got it from Microsoft Download Center. I've tried installing it directly, and also downloading it and them installing it.  Neither method produces a "Windows Preinstallation Environment" folder, and neither produces the copype.cmd file.

There's also no option on either of the installation methods to select the Windows Preinstallation Environment.  The only option is the Application Compatibility Toolkit, and without selecting it, nothing can be installed.  It shows as being 34MB in size.

There appears to be something different or wrong with the ADK as currently supplied, which means the Disaster Recovery feature cannot be used.

To download I followed the instructions here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn621908.aspx

The link on that page will take you to here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=39982

Click 'Download' to download adksetup.exe, which is 1.4MB in size.

When you run adksetup.exe a dialog will appear with two options as follows:

Install the Windows Assesment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1 to this computer

Download the Windows Assesment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1 for installation on a separate computer

I used the second option and downloaded to the folder suggested in the 'Download Path:' box. The download was about 2.97GB. Despite what it implies you can also use this option on the computer you want to install the ADK on.

When the download is complete run the adksetup.exe in the folder specified in the 'Download Path:' box. You should then get a dialog listing several components with one being the Windows Preinstallation Environment.

I'm still only seeing the ACT option, there are no others listed.

However, when I try installing it on *this* machine (my personal machine, the other machine is the "Backup" machine have Retrospect installed on), I can see the full list, including the WPE option.  What could be preventing them from showing on the Backup machine??

The Backup machine runs on Vista, my personal machine runs Win7.  Is there some issue in that which might be causing the problem?  Very strange.

From the system requirements there are parts of the ADK that require Windows 7 or later but Windows PE does not appear to be one of them.

Check in the Vista equivalent of Windows 7 Programs and Features that there are not parts of the ADK already installed that may be interfering with the install. In Programs and Features I have entries for: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (4 entries), Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (2 entries), Microsoft VSS Writer for SQL Server 2012, SQL Browser for SQL Server 2012, and Windows Assesment and Deployment Kit for Windows 8.1.

The Backup machine runs on Vista, my personal machine runs Win7.  Is there some issue in that which might be causing the problem?  Very strange.

Took some searching but I found this Microsoft page about the Supported Platforms for the Windows ADK.

It looks like the ADK — with the exception of the Application Compatibility Toolkit — is not supported for installation on Windows Vista. :(

That's very strange, their WADK page lists Windows Vista (as you said, they're probably only counting the ACT).  Still, I appreciate you finding that, thanks!  I'm intending to update this machine in the near future to Win7 or better, looks like I've got another good reason to do it a little more quickly.

Thanks again.