20Gb Archive to DVD-RW crashes on DVD-RW #3!!! Restart possible???

I have trying to Archive 20Gb of data from an Ext FW HDD to DVD-RW.

I have had one particular DVD-RW that has failed on writing before (using Toast). I tried to use that DVD-RW as volume #3 and Retrospect just said something about it being an unsupported format (I had previously used DiskCopy to do a full erase then Toast to write a full 4.4Gb of data to it just to make sure it was OK, all that worked fine).

So after 8 or so hours of erasing then writing to DVD-RW volumes #1 & #2 in goes this suspect #3 and Retrospect says it can't recognise the format, I click "Proceed" and it continues to try and delete it, asking me first.

It then encounters an error writing to the DVD-RW and asks for another "blank" media. I put in a fresh, never before used, DVD-RW and *bang!!!* down goes Retrospect and 8 hours of torture.

Bugs:

1. I also noticed that the Eject can opne the drive door but then can't close it again. What's with that?

2. Retrospect also holds onto the DVD drive (iMac G4 17" Superdrive 10.3.4) after Retrospect has been closed. You need to restart the system to get access to the drive again. Poor.

Well back to my present frustration. What can I do now? Why can't it restart where it failed? Beyond that what is Dantz doing about these bugs? How about you busy Dantz support personnel share your wisdom with me since I can't email anyone or call (I am in Singapore) without considerable expense.

I am 17 years in IT / Data Centre Operations, Systems, Developer, Software Conultant & IT Architect. I know what to expect and conceed that this is a great product I waited a looooooooong time to have on my desktop. However, the support mechanism is all wrong. Somebody prove me wrong out there? Dantz?

Hi

Quote:

down goes Retrospect and 8 hours of torture.

Can you please explain what you mean?

Quote:

I also noticed that the Eject can opne the drive door but then can't close it again. What's with that?

Please see this page http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27257

Quote:

Retrospect also holds onto the DVD drive (iMac G4 17" Superdrive 10.3.4) after Retrospect has been closed. You need to restart the system to get access to the drive again. Poor.

Please provide your OS version, device make/model, Retrospect version and Retrospect driver update version.

To pick up where you left off, first run a verify operation on the first two members of the set. Then run another incremental backup. Retrospect will backup new and changed files from there.

Nate

Nate,

Explaining "I also noticed that the Eject can opne the drive door but then can't close it again. What's with that? ":

In the dialog to insert the next DVD for an archive to DVD there is an Eject button. If you press it the tray will open and you can put in your new DVD. However, you cannot press the eject button (or any other) to close tray again. You must physically push it closed. Perhaps this is related to the issue you highted "Please see this page http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27257 "

I am using:

Mac OS 10.3.4

SONY DVD RW DW-U10A

Retrospect 6.0.178

Retrospect Driver update version (blank in about box, Retrospect Access Version is 1.0.104)

Stefano

Archived