Silent failures??

guthrie

Several times I have opened Retrospect (Pro 9.0) and found that it reports a last backup of a month or more ago.

When I open it, it starts doing a backup, but why does it fail silently, and how can I get it to at least inform me when it has some problem and fails?

Then I'll watch it for a few days or weeks and it progresses properly, daily incremental and weekly backups.

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks - but it seems like it would be a workaround to a problem.

Inspired by your note, I checked the preferences, and find that notices are enabled, but trying the send test email fails;

"Email Notification failed; Error -530, backup client not found"

I am not sure what this means (or a cure), since it just completed two backups.

No entry in the logs (History, events) about this.

Even so, seems like even this error could be sent by email?

Yes, it is a bit of a workaround.

Is there anything in Windows' Event Viewer that may shed some light on this?

The process/service RetroEngine (I think it's called) should always be running. It's difficult for it to send an error message after it has exited for some reason.

Then the email setup seems odd. That error message doesn't make any sense.

There has been a bug sending test emails in (a) previous version(s). Maybe that bug is still there? The notification with "real" messages worked once the preferences was correctly set up.

• Like 1

Thanks; I just did an upgrade to 9.5, same situation.

Task Manager shows (retroisarun, Retrospect, retrorun, RetroISA) all running.

Event Log shows this (on test email):

The description for Event ID 2 from source Retrospect cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

+ Retrospect version 9.5.0.140

Launched at 9/16/2014 12:29 PM

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Just shows the program startup, nothing for the Email attempt.

These unexpected and silent application exits can also be down to a problem with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 runtime that parts of Retrospect use. Retrospect will be working away fine then just disappear without warning. Whatever job was running at the time of the exit will be missing from the Operations Log and no related entries will appear in the Windows Event Log. I may several of these unscheduled exits within a few days of each other then it can go several months before the next unscheduled exit.

I have also experienced this problem with other applications that use Visual C++ 2005. Back in 2008 I was having this problem with a graphics rendering application. After much work by the developers Microsoft apparently admitted the existence of the problem but said the fix was to move to Visual C++ 2008 which was then the current version.

Thanks; I just did an upgrade to 9.5, same situation.

Task Manager shows (retroisarun, Retrospect, retrorun, RetroISA) all running.

Event Log shows this (on test email):

The description for Event ID 2 from source Retrospect cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

+ Retrospect version 9.5.0.140

Launched at 9/16/2014 12:29 PM

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Just shows the program startup, nothing for the Email attempt.

This is just a routine entry in the Event Log from Retrospect on application start. There will also be an entry when Retrospect exits, either programmatically or by user, and when a running task completes. Don't worry about the bit about the description of the event ID not being found — events from other applications also say this. (It is connected with how Applications are compiled.)

• Like 1

Which email provider are you using? Some do not work with Retrospect. (Somewhere I have seen a document of supported email providers but cannot find it at the moment.)

I use the SMTP server from my ISP because the other two I have from iCloud and Outlook are not supported by Retrospect on Windows. (iCloud is supported on the Mac version of Retrospect.)

• Like 1

If it is a standard vanilla SMTP server using standard ports and protocols then Retrospect should have no problem with it. The servers Retrospect has problems with are those which use non-standard ports and protocols such as iCloud and Outlook.com to name two.

This is nothing to do with Retrospect but I have had problems with notification emails being blocked at the receiving email address because they are seen as spam.