Backup of Writer "NPS VSS Writer" failed; Error 1101

pronto

Hi Community,

since we fixed the VSS errors Event ID 8194 [1] a couple of weeks ago, we are getting in Retrospect log the error message (basically translated):

Backup of Writer "NPS VSS Writer" failed, Error -1101 (File/Directory not found)

Backup of Component "NPS Database" failed, Error -1101 (File/Directory not found)

This behavior occured on a Windows 2008 R2 (domain member) server very short after we fixed that VSS 8194 error and since last week another 2008 R2 server (domain controller) is affected. The event log of the server doesn't show any problems related to the backup task or particular to the NPS error message. Also a backup with the windows onboard tool wbadmin doesn't show this NPS errors.

BTW: NPS isn't used in our environment and is neither on the member server nor on the domain controller configured. I noticed this feature first time after I saw it in the Retropect error message.

[1] http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/event-id-8194-vss-error

Thx & Bye Tom

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have begun seeing this error since the installation of the 2017 Windows Fall Creators update (Version 1709, Build 16299.64) and Retrospect Windows Desktop 12.6.9.157.  How can I get rid of it, please?

Edited by bbrown
Can't remember what year it is!