Option for Proactive Backup Algorithm

Insixdays

I have read many times about the algorithm used with proactive backups and how it puts the clients that have never been backed up at the top. Also it is supposed to optimize the proactive backup procedure. I have to assume this works well for other users but it does not work well for us. We have a lot of clients in our database and it takes a long time for the proactive backup to get through the entire list. I like that it seems to seen when a client connects and may start that backup right away, but I would really like the option to just let the process go through from never backed up to most recently backed up without trying over and over again to backup machines that are not in the office. This could be setup as an option, to use the algorithm or just go from top to bottom in the list.

Also even when a client is set to be deferred it is not skipped over immediately. It seems to poll the client to see if it is there instead of just skipping it. This also seems to be the case when it gets to the bottom of the list. It runs through clients that were already backed up that day instead of skipping them.

I would be very willing to talk with Retrospect designers about this. I like Retrospect and I think it is a good product, but I think it can become a great product.

Thanks for all your work to make this product even better.

Jeff

• Like 1