Move Tapes to a new server

Hi Community,

currently we are using Retrospect Multi Server version 8.5.0 and installed a new server on new hardware. The regular tape backup sets will be created on demand but we have a couple of archiv tapes and now the question is how I can move the content of the tapes into the new Retrospect instance? I have the backup sets and catalog files on the old server available. I guess that a simple recreation of the catalog file from the content of the tape wouldn't be enough because I don't have a backup set for this tape content. Is there a smart way to create a new backup set based on a tape content or how it works correctly?

Thx & Bye Tom

You are guessing wrong. :) When using "recreate from tapes" a new media set is created for you.

For the media sets where you do have the catalog file, simply double-click them on the new server should do the trick. (At least that worked for older versions of Retrospect).

You are guessing wrong. :) When using "recreate from tapes" a new media set is created for you.

Ah okay, if I load a tape into the drive the old name of the tape, based on the name of the former backup set, will be identified and if I recreate from tape, a magic hand creates a new backup set also. Now I have to wait until the recreation is finished and than hopefully my archive files will be available on the server.

But a another question is coming up. I have also a couple of disk backup sets to move to the new server, how does this works? Copy the disk backup set folder from the filesystem to the new server and recreate the catalog like before with the tapes?

...thanks a lot & Bye Tom

But a another question is coming up. I have also a couple of disk backup sets to move to the new server, how does this works? Copy the disk backup set folder from the filesystem to the new server and recreate the catalog like before with the tapes?

...thanks a lot & Bye Tom

Yes, just use "recreate" from disks. :)