Retro 10.5 decides to backup directories listed under the Privacy tab

Ron Haines

I noticed that an overnight backup of my machine had copied a huge amount of data (17G compared to an expected 1G). Browsing the backed up files I saw a directory of temp files which I had listed under the Privacy tab in the client to prevent it being backed up. This exclusion had worked for dozens of backups until this most recent one. This only change which might have happened prior to this backup was that I added one more directory to the Privacy tab. Details: 10.5 server (running on OS X 10.7.5), 9.0.2 client (running under OS X 10.8.5), backing up to disk media.

Related to this, I setup a windows machine for backup last week and added a directory to the Private tab, only to find it was backed up. Has anyone else seen the settings under the Privacy tab not being respected by Retrospect? Am I misunderstanding how the Privacy tab works?

Another possible bug: in the OS X client, the list of directories under the Privacy tab is never enabled to allow a directory to be selected, regardless of whether the user has authenticated or not. This means there is no way to remove a directory from that list. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just in case this lets someone else avoid my brain-block...

After a long time looking irritably at the disabled settings in the client on my machine, I finally realised that the user options for allowing exclusion of files etc have to be enabled per client (which is actually what Robin said above, but didn't sink in to my brain). It is not sufficient to turn on "Preferences > Clients > Allow clients to: exclude items from backups" on the Retro server. You then have to go to each source and enable the options you want.