Compression Confusion

i think i'm finally starting to get a handle on how Retrospect does its thing, but there is one thing i have noticed that has me baffled.

When i set up  my scripts, i decided to switch off compression as its going to slow things down, and backing up over 12TB a week is not quick! Once i get some extra hardware for speeding up the connections maybe i'll swicth it on...

anyway, I have 5 separate scripts running each week, and then a second set of 5 running the next week. This lets me have a weekly rotation of LTO5 tapes that i can keep off site.

For reasons i dont understand, In the Activities Window one of the scripts (and it just happens to be for the largest data set) is showing compression is ON. Yet if i check the script itself, its supposed to be OFF.

All the scripts were written at the same time, and i checked that they all had compression off, so why is this one script behaving incorrectly?

There are two types of compression.

1) Compression in software. Valid only for disk media sets.

2) Compression in hardware. Valid only for tape media sets.

I don't think you can turn off hardware compression. It takes place in the tap drive itself. It doesn't "tax" the CPU of the retrospect server at all.

So take a look again at your settings and post back if what you see makes sense now.