Windows Duplicate Volume names - restore problem

unwina

When I backup my disks on my PC using Pro 8.5 and probably previous versions as well I've realised there is an issue with duplicate volume names as follows. (Thankfully I haven't had to rebuild my system as such)

My drives are named as follows (Windows 7, SP1)

Local disk (C:)

New Folder (D:)

New Folder (E:)

etc

etc

Core USB HDD (S:)

When I do some operations, in particular restore all files although I want them to go to relevant disks, testing seems to direct all the "New Folder" items together.

Is there a way I could do a full restore to all the separate disks or would I have to select them manually one volume at a time.

I guess I should have named my volumes before I started the backups.

Any help gratefully received I did some searches for this very issue but I guess being old school and have many multiple volumes is not a very popular process these days. Or everyone solved it themselves and I just need a gentle pointer ;-)

Hi Lennart,

Just the mere process of performing a step by step restore shows me I can in fact restore from each session (correct drives are in individual sessions) as separate disks so its not as bad as I thought. I can even see that I can restore files from sessions so as I say I think I might have confused myself.

I was actually using find files from a specific date and found that all the "New Folder" items were grouped together so i came out in a cold sweat thinking I cannot restore back to original. 

I am happy that the restore functions will do what I want now. I guess I should have tried them before posting. I knew they worked before when I was XP and I restored from my backups to create the current setups. I've never actually done this in Pro 8.5 just Express 7.6 I think it was when I did the last restore so i knew it had worked.

Thanks for the challenge.

I think that even with "Find files" you should be able to see the path, including the drive letter. But I'm not sure about that. I have a much older version than you.

But the best way to restore is by using the snapshot. That way you restore the volume to exactly the state it had during the last backup.