simple way to back up certain folders each time

I want to back up photo images edited in Photoshop and Lightroom, I have a good few thousand images in many different folders.

I am trying the trial version and cant get it working, and I cant understand the terminology used.

I watched some videos, but they obviously gloss over the details.

Is there a facility to set up which folders to back up and then run this manually when needed so that my choices are remembered?

I thought backups were all performed incrementally, only new files would be backed up but this doesn't happen, it deletes previous files and only copies some of the new ones., or after Retrospect running for a few hours, nothing is backed up.

What I do currently is drag and drop the folders using Finder and copy everything over each week, its reliable, slow and inefficient.

Any advice what I should do?

I want to back up photo images edited in Photoshop and Lightroom, I have a good few thousand images in many different folders.

I am trying the trial version and cant get it working, and I cant understand the terminology used.

I watched some videos, but they obviously gloss over the details.

Is there a facility to set up which folders to back up and then run this manually when needed so that my choices are remembered?

I thought backups were all performed incrementally, only new files would be backed up but this doesn't happen, it deletes previous files and only copies some of the new ones., or after Retrospect running for a few hours, nothing is backed up.

What I do currently is drag and drop the folders using Finder and copy everything over each week, its reliable, slow and inefficient.

Any advice what I should do?

Retrospect is designed to backup the entire source volume.

You can backup a favorite folder if you like, but it sounds like your pictures are all over the place.

You can set use a filter/rule that selects only files of type JPEG (and TIFF, RAW etc if you have them), regardless of the folder they are in.

Without a complete step-by-step description of what you are actually doing, it's impossible to tell you what's wrong.

I don't need or want to backup the whole drive, thats unnecessary, I have a clones system drive for emergencies. I only want to back up images from Lightroom and Photoshop, nothing else.

These images are not all over the place, they are in specific folders on the drive. 

Is this possible in retrospect at all, it sounds as if I need a different kind of backup application.

Thanks for you advice so far, very appreciated.

I have a good few thousand images in many different folders.

These images are not all over the place, they are in specific folders on the drive. 

"Many different folders" sounds to me very much like "all over the place". ;)

OK, the easiest (and best) way is to place these folders under a common "base" folder and then set up that "base" folder as a "favorite" folder.

It's under Sources:

post-8868-0-55299800-1392714950_thumb.png

You may, of course, add as many favorite folders as you need (or like).

Then create a script with all those favorite folders as sources with the same destination.

As I wrote: It would be easier if you had only one favorite folder as that would create only one backup session/snapshot. That way you don't have to remember which snapshot to restore if (when?) you need to. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is way too complicated. It sounds like the "many folders" are all enclosed in a single folder, most likely the

home folder of the user. If you backup the home folder, you will also get a few things that you don't need, but Retro will not duplicate them when you back them up again to the same media, so you will get what you want - backups of the important files that change - your pics.

If you try to do this with complex rules, you'll have to maintain those ules as you move things around.

KISS - good principle.