Error -1023 ( already exists) during duplicate to network share

damrocket

(1)Retrospect version: 8.5.0
(2)Retrospect Driver Update version: ???
(3)OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
(4)Hardware: Toshiba laptop backing up to network share on HP desktop PC
(5)Description of steps:

Installed Retrospect 8.5.0 on customer's laptop.

Created script to perform daily duplicate to a network share on a desktop PC on the local network. PC has network sharing enabled with password-protected sharing turned off. Permissions for the destination folder are set to 'full access' for the 'Everyone' object in both the file/folder permissions and the advanced sharing permissions.

Manual read & write access to the destination folder across the network works without issue.

Retrospect is set to run as a specified user using the credentials of the only Administrator account present on the laptop.

(6)Description of the problem:

Every time the duplicate script runs, it fails with: "error -1023 ( already exists)".

Not sure why this is an issue for a duplicate operation - the destination will always exist after the first duplicate.

Am I likely to have more success using a mapped drive instead of the network share path? There is a specific reason I am trying to avoid this for now, but if this is the only option I will have to consider it. Does Retrospect support duplicate and/or backup operations to a (non-mapped) network share?

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it seemed to work the first time, now it seems to complete the duplicate and doesn't report any errors, but the expected files are not present in the destination folder.

I am going to reconfigure the whole thing so that Retrospect is running on the remote PC and backing up the laptop as a client and see how that goes.