Where are Catalog files stored

I have a script which copies Retrospect files from the server to two other machines so that if there is a problem with the server I can restore or backup from another machine. I use a favourite folder where the path is ~/library/application support/retrospect which I had always assumed was where Retrospect catalogs were kept, as opposed to in the Library which is hidden in OS10.8. But I have just discovered that one of my backup catalogs is not being stored in there but on the drive which contains its media set. Can anyone explain this.

Is there, in fact, an easier way to backup Catalogs by using the default Retrospect Files rule. If so, will this backup catalog files which are not in the Application Support folder?

• Like 2

Thanks for all of this - I really appreciate your help.

Can I ask something else please. I've tried to split a script as I can't re-order the sources in a another 'global' script. But since doing so I have found Retrospect hardly runs at all. On the console window I see it loading the 127.0.0.1 server, then it changes to my real local server, but this never loads properly. Everything seems to appear in the sidebar, while syncing of media sets continues, then all of the sources disappear and it starts loading again, and again, repeating the sequence until (sometimes) it remains stable but with syncing media sets still highlighted in a never-ending sync.

I am just restoring a Time Machinne Backup in the hopes that I can replace some of the config.80 files to a date when everything seemed to work and then start again.

If I give up completely and decide to re-install the application and recreate the scripts and sources can I reuse the existing media sets and catalogs - and if so, how? 

Update to above posting - although nothing shows on the console I am getting emails saying that Retrospect is trying to connect to a client that is 'reserved'. How do I move things on - the client (a virtual windows machine on Parallels)  is still running but obviously not being recognised. I've changed its name to force a different source order but haven't been able to make the change in Retrospect. What do I do?

Thanks

If I give up completely and decide to re-install the application and recreate the scripts and sources can I reuse the existing media sets and catalogs - and if so, how? 

In the old days you would just double-click on the catalog file. Not sure how it is done in the latest versions, but it can be done. Check the manual.

Update to above posting - although nothing shows on the console I am getting emails saying that Retrospect is trying to connect to a client that is 'reserved'. How do I move things on - the client (a virtual windows machine on Parallels)  is still running but obviously not being recognised. I've changed its name to force a different source order but haven't been able to make the change in Retrospect. What do I do?

Thanks

I would reboot the "reserved" client. In this case, the virtual Windows machine.

• 2 weeks later...