Error -1116 trigger while partially through scanning a network share on Synology NAS

sjacobs

I have a number of volumes defined on various shared folders on my Synology NAS device that I have scripts that run weekly and duplicate those over to some external USB drives. That had been working just fine until recently across all of them. Now - I am suddenly getting this error on only one of them. I tried rebooting the machine that is running the Retrospect Pro backup but that didn't fix anything.

It does not seem to be related to the # of files - because other volumes on this same NAS can be scanned just fine with much larger #'s of files - both in number and total size to be backed up.

I wish there was some way to see where exactly it is getting tripped up in its scan...

Anyone have any idea what might cause this issue?

• Like 2

OK - I have not exactly found a root cause - but since I had run out of anything else to try - I rebooted the Synology NAS device (having already rebooted the backup machine which did not seem to help). For whatever reason that seemed to fix it. One thing about this area vs the others that is a little different - it is an encrypted share. So perhaps there was something flaky there with the access. Still doesn't make sense why that would allow for over 50% of that area to be scanned ok before hitting that error.

I should also mention that if I used Windows Explorer from that same backup machine - I had no problem causing Windows to scan the area for example in the Properties dialog to determine the total # of files and filesize. I also had no issues access this area from other machines.

Very strange.

BTW - I am running Retrospect Profession V8.5.0 (136) in case that may be playing into this.

• Like 1

Error -1116 is Cannot Access Network Volume. This could suggest there was/is some file corruption on the NAS. As a precaution run a file system check on the NAS using the utilities in the NAS firmware.

Retrospect is accessing far more detail on every file on the volume during the scan than Windows Explorer which is only counting the number of files and their size.

Error -1116 is Cannot Access Network Volume. This could suggest there was/is some file corruption on the NAS. As a precaution run a file system check on the NAS using the utilities in the NAS firmware.

Retrospect is accessing far more detail on every file on the volume during the scan than Windows Explorer which is only counting the number of files and their size.

OK - good idea - I have kicked off a "scrub" of that entire volume on the Synology - so hopefully if there is an issue it will be found and fixed with this. For whatever reason I could not find this error message number in the list of the error messages on the support site - so I wasn't sure exactly what this number meant. Certainly makes sense given your explanation. But I think someone should get this one added to the list wherever that is maintained so that others will know what it means without having to resort to posting a question.

OK - good idea - I have kicked off a "scrub" of that entire volume on the Synology - so hopefully if there is an issue it will be found and fixed with this.

Broadly speaking there are four levels in a NAS such as Synology: The physical disks; the software RAID volume; the file system of the RAID volume such as Ext3 or Ext4; the file serving protocol such as SMB/CIFS (Windows) of NFS (Linux).

A bad blocks scan will check for physical defects on the disks.

A 'scrub', if it is resyncing the RAID, will only check for errors at the RAID level.

A file system check will check for errors at the file system level.

For whatever reason I could not find this error message number in the list of the error messages on the support site - so I wasn't sure exactly what this number meant. Certainly makes sense given your explanation. But I think someone should get this one added to the list wherever that is maintained so that others will know what it means without having to resort to posting a question.

The list I use for error numbers is the one here: http://retrospect.com/en/support/kb/error-code-table

This has most of them on it but there still a few missing. However Retrospect could still do with compiling a list of ALL errors and provide a description of the error as is done for the small selection in the User's Guide.

Edited by Scillonian

Yes - I understand what you are talking about - I thought I would do the scrub first. Then I will do a fsck to make sure at that level there are no issues. Thanks for the link on the error codes - will bookmark that for future reference as I always have to go on a search mission to find it on the support site.

• 2 months later...