Split for media sizes

pctechtv

Yes but it will involve some work.

You will need to configure multiple members for the disk backup set and configure the space for each member to be of a size to fit on the optical media you want to use. How practical this will be to implement will depend on how bit your backup set is.

I guess you could also try backing up directly to the Blu-Ray / DVD device. It will probbaly be a bit slower than disk.

If it just a matter of storage then I guess you could copy the files that Retrospect creates to DVD as these are ~600MB only. However, to reconstitute a working backup from which you can restore you would likely need to copy all these filess back again to disk. So it is perhaps not very practical.

Hi, thank for the info. As it relates to member Scillonian's info I have done this. Unless I am doing something wrong it prompts me for a new disk each time. I set mine for 22.5GB to safely fit on Blu-ray discs (I know Retrospect can burn to Blu-ray). Does it have a way to not ask if the disk are just allocated on the current hard drive? This does not allow you to be away from the computer with large backups because it does not continue until it gets a new member.

Hi, thank for the info. As it relates to member Scillonian's info I have done this. Unless I am doing something wrong it prompts me for a new disk each time. I set mine for 22.5GB to safely fit on Blu-ray discs (I know Retrospect can burn to Blu-ray). Does it have a way to not ask if the disk are just allocated on the current hard drive? This does not allow you to be away from the computer with large backups because it does not continue until it gets a new member.

If you create the the members of the Backup Set before you run the backup Retrospect should automatically move on the the next available member while there are members available to use.

I did a test (with Retrospect 8.2 but should be the same for other versions) using ~4.7GB data and setting the size of the five members to 2GB each. When I ran the backup Retrospect automatically moved on to the next available member without prompting.

I can't seem to get the size of my members below 7.9? It seems to act like it is doing it, but then as shown in pic it is a 7.9G. How did you get past this? I am using Retrospect 8.5

** UPDATE: See end of post. **

I think we have found a bug, or at least an inconsistency, in the way Retrospect handles the sizing of backup set members. What happens depends on the size of the volume where the backup set resides.

If the backup set is on a volume directly connected to the server, shown as 'Type: local volume' in the member properties dialog, then Retrospect ignores the Gigabyte value and uses only the percentage value to define the size of the member.

On the other hand if the backup set is on a NAS or other shared volume (except any on local machine), shown a 'Type: shared volume' in the member properties dialog, then Retrospect will the Gigabyte value or the percent value depending on which one you use to set the member size.

When I did my initial test I used Retrospect 8.2 in a VMware VM with the backup set on a NAS so I could set the member size by Gigabyte value and assumed it would be the same for a local volume too. I noticed that you had your backup set on a locally connected volume so I decided to repeated the test on my backup server, which is running Retrospect 8.5, to see if I got the same results as you which led me to the inconsistency in sizing.

In summary, if the backup set member is on a local volume then the member size will always be the displayed percentage value regardless of whether the gigabyte or percentage value is set. But if the backup set member is on a shared volume then the member size can be set by either the gigabyte or percentage value depending on which you use.

I hope this explains why you are having problems setting the member size. :)

UPDATE: After a few more tests it now appears that it is the size of the volume on which the member resides and not where the volume is that governs the sizing behavior:

• On the 405GB (local), 464GB (local and remote) and 930GB (remote) volumes only the percentage value is used for member sizing.
  • On the 1,833GB (remote) and 3,664GB (remote) volumes both the gigabyte and percentage values are used for member sizing.

This inconsistency in behavior looks like a bug to me.

Edited by Scillonian

I don't know. If this was the Mac version there is a dedicated sub-forum for bug reports. It may be worth contacting support with your findings and referring them to this thread.

Personally I would prefer it if the member size was always a gigabyte value for a specific reason. My primary backup target is a 3.6TB NAS volume and when I retire a backup set I move it to hard disk for archiving. I set the member size to fit the hard disks so when I move a backup set to hard disk where the member size has been set as a percentage Retrospect can sometimes get into a panic because the allocated space is now less than the used space. On backup sets that have grooming enabled this usually results in all snapshots except the most recent being deleted in a fruitless attempt to reduce the size of the backup set