Disaster Recovery Support for Windows 8 x64

JGiraud

Hi

I just purchased the upgrade to Retrospect Professional 8.5. I have 5 computers running a variety of Windows 7 x64 and Windows x64. I followed the instructions to create a bare metal recovery disk after installing the Windows AIK kit and it failed saying Can't continue execution, error -1 (unknown).

A few things I don't understand. Why was it creating a Windows 7 recovery disk when I'm running Windows 8? Your sales literature says that Windows 8 and 8.1 are supported. When I checked the manual, it said that GPT disks were not supported, all my Windows 8 systems have GPT disks because that is the default when Windows 8 installs onto a new disk.

Could I please get a straight answer as to how this works and how to create recovery disks for Windows 8 with GPT support?

• Like 2

The recovery disk created by Retrospect uses a Microsoft WinPE environment that will allow you to boot most computers and perform a restore regardless of the operating system version you were running at the time of the backup.  It will not matter if you are running Windows 8 or Windows 2003 server.  The boot disk is the same.

When exactly did you see the error -1? Does the operations log show any additional details?

Which Windows AIK environment did you download? Prepare for DR disk creation directions are in this video:

For Retrospect DR to function, you must use the Windows AIK that we recommend in the Retrospect DR wizard.  This disk image created by Retrospect will work with Windows 8 systems that need to be restored.

That being said, computers with EFI motherboards are not supported with the DR CD due to the issue outlined in this article: http://retrospect.com/en/support/kb/asr-writer

The other method for restore is a Live Restore

1) Install the exact version of windows you were using at the time of the backup

2) Install Retrospect

3) Perform a restore entire disk to the C: disk while booted from the C: disk.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...