Merging Sessions or Multiple Writes to One Session?

blazelet

I am on the 45 day trial of retrospect pro. I am using an LTO-4 Dell Powervault single load drive.

What I am trying to do is this : I want to be able to backup a folder, and then simply add to it as new files get added.

Say my folder is called 'Renders'. When I do the backup today I get a session called 'Renders." If I backup the same folder tomorrow I end up with two sessions, each called 'Renders' ... depending on how I adjust options I can have it add only new files to the second sessions folder. But I just want one folder, or session, that the files get appended to as they are written.

1) Is this possible?

2) If not, is it possible to merge or combine sessions after they are written?

3) If not, is it possible to view multiple sessions in one window, rather than in multiple session windows?

Thanks for any input!!

• Like 1

It isn't clear what you are doing and what you want to achieve.

For instance, you write: "I can have it add only new files to the second sessions folder."

A session can't have a folder.

Second, you backup to tape, which also doesn't have a folder.

What Retrospect is designed for is to backup "snapshots". It takes a snapshot of the source every time you backup. That means you can restore the complete state of the source at a later date. This means that every time you backup to a media set, all the changed and new files are added to the media set along with a complete list of files that are still there since the last backup.

Is that NOT what you are looking for? Then what do you want?

You'll have to forgive me if I don't use the terminology correctly, I'm new in the world of tape and even newer in the world of retrospect which uses unique language. I'll try and clarify.

When I say folder I mean session. If I archive the same folder 5 different times, each time with different contents, it creates 5 sessions in my backup set. When I look at my session contents I see 5 sessions each named the same thing as the folder I archived. Their contents differ, with new files only being added to the new sessions.

What I want is one session which all my archived files from a particular folder go to. So if I have a backup folder on my nas, and the files in that folder get deleted and new ones added, each time I run an archive of that folder the new files get appended to one session.

This way I have a single session I can open to view all files that have been archived. Having them split between 5 different sessions, all which have different contents but are part of a whole, makes it hard to see the whole. I just want to see everything together.

Yes but it does not default to that, you have to go looking for it. Regardless it's irrelevant to my question :)

I'm guessing at this point there is not a way to do this in Retrospect. There is in NovaBackup, but it doesn't have a way to search your backup for files ... which seems like a staggering shortcoming.

Oh well. Pick your poison :) Thanks all.

What I want is one session which all my archived files from a particular folder go to. So if I have a backup folder on my nas, and the files in that folder get deleted and new ones added, each time I run an archive of that folder the new files get appended to one session.

This way I have a single session I can open to view all files that have been archived. Having them split between 5 different sessions, all which have different contents but are part of a whole, makes it hard to see the whole. I just want to see everything together.

If you can't get what you want with Retrospect, you might take a look at http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/