Unable to add non-boot volume for remote client as Favorite

I am trying to back up an additional volume (not the boot volume) on a remote client. In the past I know that I've been able to add additional volumes as favorites so that they are available in the Sources page. However, for this particular client and with the current Mac version of Retrospect (10.2.0 (201)) I cannot convince Retrospect that the client has the additional drive mounted and available as a backup source.

- The client is visible and name "Firefly"

- Firefly has a boot volume named "Home" which already displays in the Sources list, with two of its folders as Favorites (Library and Users)

- Firefly has a second volume, named "Development" that is mounted on the client

- The Firefly client is currently available in Retrospect

I would like to add Development as a favorite. It is not visible in /Volumes when I dig down into Home. I cannot add a Favorite when I just have Firefly selected in the UI. When Firefly is selected in the Sources list and the Options tab is selected in the lower part of the UI, only Home shows up for Volumes, even when "All Volumes" is selected.

I know I've done it before in early versions of Retrospect but how do I make Development available as a Source in v10.2?

Thanks, David

post-29363-0-30098900-1380300740_thumb.png

post-29363-0-63111200-1380300748_thumb.png

• Like 1

There are multiple issues here.  One is that the Console (Retro) will not necessarily "refresh" its view without prompting.  Hit the "refresh" button topside to see the latest info.

Second, for removable volumes, the volume will not be mounted when no one is logged in.  That makes things a little sticky.

Does Retrospect Client only publicize the first partition on a drive with more than one partition? "Development" is the second partition of the same drive where "Home" is the first partition. There are 4 total partitions and only "Home" displays in the Sources list.

All of my clients that actually show additional drives (not just the boot drive) have more than one separate physical drive, rather than multiple partitions.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add Development as a favorite. It is not visible in /Volumes when I dig down into Home

No, nor should it be.

Although "Home" is the boot volume hosting your Retrospect OS X Client software, "/Volumes" is a directory used by OS X to mount filesystems for use by the system. Retrospect doesn't use this, so no matter if you click on "Browse" or "Add Favorites" with a system volume selected, you won't find anything in the Volumes directory inside.

I cannot add a Favorite when I just have Firefly selected in the UI.

Correct; "Firefly" is the machine name, and Favorite Folders are folders inside of volumes. You must select the volume inside which resides the folder you want to define as a favorite.

Does Retrospect Client only publicize the first partition on a drive with more than one partition?

No; all directly attached logical volumes should be shown under a client machine's name in the Sources list.

When Firefly is selected in the Sources list and the Options tab is selected in the lower part of the UI, only Home shows up for Volumes

This is not correct behavior, as I note above. You should be seeing all the logical volume partitions on your physical drive.

Retrospect lists all directly attached volumes in alpha order, without any sorting or designation as to what physical drive they're a partition of.

Since the Retrospect Console application is not showing you the information you expect to see, that leaves the client software as the likely cause.

Do you have anything in the Privacy tab of the Retrospect Client preference pane?

In the Sources pane on RS, make sure that at the bottom under Volumes, make sure "All volumes" is selected as opposed to 'selected' or 'startup'. Otherwise they won't all show up. 

Not true; the "Back up:" popup menu selection in the Volume section of the Sources->Options tab has no effect on the volume listings in the Sources window above.

Easy test; set "Back up:" to "Selected Volumes" and then un-check everything. Note that the listing above remains unchanged, even after a client Refresh.

• 3 weeks later...