8.2.0 (180) another buggy release (Assertion failure at db.cpp-170)

klubar

At support's recommendation we recently "upgraded" our server from release 8.1 to 8.2.  The email notification didn't work in release 8.1 (actually I think it broke in 8.0) so support recommended that it was fixed in 8.2. It was only half fixed in 8.2 - we get an error in the log, but a least the emails are sent. I have to say that our email server is about a plain jane as you can get--and hasn't changed much in the past 10 years. It's pretty clear that retrospect does the most cursory QC before shipping a release to not have found this bug.

So we upgraded to 8.2 which just fails to do backups (hey, what should we expect it's backup software) and crashes  with an "Assertion failure at db.cpp-170". When I submitted this bug to retrospect, their answer was "This error is caused by a bug in Retrospect 8.2.  We are releasing  fix for this bug later this month.  Until that fix is released, you will probably want to return to Retrospect 8.1, which should not experience this error. ".  

The "we're releasing a fix sometime later" and "should not experience"  doesn't give me much confidence. What ever happened to TESTING the software before releasing it?

My irritation with retrospect is particularly compounded by the nearly daily spammy marketing emails promoting their new  PerfectDisk defrag software. Yea right, they can't even ship a working version of backup software and I'm going to trust them to scribble all over  my disk trying to defrag it.

• Like 1

My irritation with retrospect is particularly compounded by the nearly daily spammy marketing emails promoting their new  PerfectDisk defrag software. Yea right, they can't even ship a working version of backup software and I'm going to trust them to scribble all over  my disk trying to defrag it.

PerfectDisk is produced by Raxco — all Retrospect is advertising is a six user license version that is not available from Raxco.

I agree that the e-mails have somewhat spam feel to them. They appear to be sent to all [registered] users but the online store seems only to have the offer available to North American users. As usual the international users have been left out.  :rolleyes:

The error you are seeing will be fixed in a release schedule to come out very soon.

We are currently offering Perfect Disk to customers in our online store.  We do this because our testing has shown that a defragemented disk can really help with backup performance (something customers ask about every day). For now we are only selling it in the US, but hopefully we will be able to offer it to customers in other locations in the future. 

For now we are only selling it in the US, but hopefully we will be able to offer it to customers in other locations in the future. 

I'm quite interested in this deal so is there any good reason for it being US only at present? What timescale are looking at for non-US availability? (Retrospect sell worldwide, Raxco sell worldwide and your merchant Avangate operate worldwide.)

(I did us Diskeeper in the past but their anti-piracy measures got so convoluted and farcical that I abandoned using it.)