E-mail Notification Not Working in 8.2

minidomo

Schannel is Secure Channel which, amongst other things, handles SSL/TLS connections for Windows 2000 onwards and any applications that use Windows for their secure connections.

If you are getting an Schannel error when sending over an unsecured connection it would suggest that Retrospect is also trying to make a secure connection. When email wasn't working for me in 8.1 the Schannel error pointed towards Retrospect making an invalid request or the SMTP server giving an invalid response.

For me email worked in 8.0, failed completely with Schannel errors in 8.1, worked again in 8.2 but with some oddities in the formatting and has returned to normal in 8.5.

When you say email works as normal in 8.5, does that mean you are able to use SSL? If so, how is it set up, and with which provider?

In Retrospect 'Outgoing mail server' is set to 'mail.btinternet.com:465' which is my ISPs SMTP server address which redirects to Critical Path who provide the SMTP service for my ISP.

Whether this has any relevance I don't know but in Internet Options in Windows on the Advanced tab the only SSL/TLS options I have checked are SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0. I don't have any proxy servers either.

I also have access to icloud.com and outlook.com email accounts. I believe that icloud.com accounts do not with Retrospect (any many other applications from my experience) at present and when I tried the outlook.com account with 8.1 it didn't work but haven't tried it with 8.2 or 8.5.

Retrospect for Windows may have trouble using iCloud (although it will work with Retrospect for Mac). We are still working to address that issue. 

Outlook.com and other Microsoft based cloud email services use SASL, which is not yet supported by Retrospect. 

And Mandrill? Making SMTP-mail as deliverable as possible is what they do. I'd be surprised if you told me that they broke certain key SMTP standards such that Retrospect cannot work with them.

The other server I tested is a standard-configured cPanel server (which is CentOS 6 + Exim 4). The service SSL certificate used by Exim is issued by Comodo, with all intermediate CA-chains properly configured. Again - surely a relatively common setup like that should work?