Unable to Stop Needs Media Request

I have a backup that I manually selected to backup.

A little ways into the backup, I got the dreaded Needs Media Request.

(dreaded because I've never been able to choose media.  dreaded because I often need to recycle a media set whenever I get the Needs Media Request)

I was able to select it in the Activities section, pause and then cancel it.

I checked my Media Set settings, changed the Groom level from 5 to 3, and started the grooming cycle.  For some reason, the needs media request appears during the grooming cycle?  Grooming shouldn't need media, it should be freeing up media.)

I'm now unable to pause or stop the grooming activity on that media set.  If I could stop it, then I could manually add a member to the media set and then start the grooming process.  However, because I cannot stop the grooming activity, I can't access the media set.

I've tried rebooting the server that retrospect is on, and still cannot stop the Grooming activity.  Is there anyway for me to stop or cancel this activity?

I'm working with a client whose drives are becoming bad, need to install new drives and restore data from Retrospect.  If I can't access the media set, then I can't restore the data.

• Like 1

Figured out a way to stop the needs media job:

• In System Preferences Stop the Retrospect Engine (It may not stop)

• In Activity Monitor Force Quit Retrospect Engine

• Find the catalog file of your backup set.  Next to the catalog file (.rbc file) there will be a <backup name>.rbc.log file.  Delete this file.

• Force Quit the RettrolSA process.  It will respawn.

• Start Retrospect engine from the System Preferences.

After stopping the jobs with the stuck needs media notification, I was still getting needs media when attempting to groom a backup set.

After rebuilding the Media Set's Catalog, the needs media notification is no longer showing up when I groom the media set.  I'm assuming something was corrupt in the Retrospect Catalog file.