Prebackup- Postbackup-Script

Hi Community,

I need to stop a Windows service for backup a database. Is it possible to trigger a batch script before Retrospect starts it's own script to backups the server? And of course there should be a possibility to start the service again, when Retrospect completed the backup task.

Thx & Bye Tom

The Retrospect Client does not support the triggering of external scripts. The best I can suggest is if the backup is always run at the same time is to schedule on the client machine a shutdown of the database service before the backup starts and schedule a start of the service for after the backup is complete. Not ideal and will probably take some experimenting to get the correct start time after the backup has finished.

Does the database have an automatically backup facility? It could be an option to schedule the database to backup itself and schedule Retrospect to backup the backup.

The Retrospect Client does not support the triggering of external scripts. The best I can suggest is if the backup is always run at the same time is to schedule on the client machine a shutdown of the database service before the backup starts and schedule a start of the service for after the backup is complete. Not ideal and will probably take some experimenting to get the correct start time after the backup has finished.

Does the database have an automatically backup facility? It could be an option to schedule the database to backup itself and schedule Retrospect to backup the backup.

Yes the Backup is scheduled at the same time but I can not ensure that the backup starts each time at the same time and more problematic that the backup finished at a specific time. The database has no mechanism to create a dump by itself but I can stop the service with a batch script and copy the database file to a backup folder and backup only this folder with Retrospect. This should work...

Thx & Bye Tom