restore from disk backup, says "needs media"

jweisbin

Retro 10.1, Mac OS X 10.6.8, backup set is on a SATA attached drive. Ran the Restore wizard, "select files or folders", selected a backup set to restore, selected a destination (on another volume), Retro says "needs media...". When I click the button to locate the media and click "add" (it's saying it can't find backup set 1-BigBak, so I point it to that folder), nothing happens, it still won't restore.

I have gone through these exact steps on another server and not had this problem, so it seems like another random bug.

I've had the same thing happen to me, OS 10.8.4. In my case, the backup set I was restoring from was also on a hard drive, but USB3 and FileVault-encrypted. The data on the drive had been copied from a different (unencrypted) drive, to which it had been originally backed up. But I maintained the same structure on the new drive, and gave the drive itself the same name, so i was surprised I had to use "Locate" at all. "Locate" silently failed whether I pointed just to the drive or to the specific folder in which the backup resided.