Windows 8 client error -1017

Mac Version 10.1.0.1 (266)

Errror occurs backing up a Windows 8 (64-Pro) client - version 8.1.0 (266)

From Log:

Normal backup using Lenovo_bv_bu_scr at 5/6/13 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set LenovoBLV_bu...

T-7: MapError: unknown Windows error -1,017

T-7: VssWAddComponentToSnapshot: UGetComponentInfo failed., osErr -1017, error -1001

- 5/6/13 4:30:00 AM: Copying Windows8_OS (C:) on BLVLenovo

Writer "ASR Writer" backup failed, error -1001 ( unknown Windows OS error).

5/6/13 5:16:55 AM: Snapshot stored, 230.1 MB

5/6/13 5:17:14 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 3644 files, 4.2 GB, with 42% compression

Performance: 416.8 MB/minute

Duration: 00:47:14 (00:36:52 idle/loading/preparing)

Retrospect CLient Control Panel on the windows laptop shows no events - i.e. it falsely indicates no backups occurred. Laptop was plugged in and does not go to sleep or hibernate while that is the case. On the Mac Retrospect program's SOurces panel, the client still showed to be busy and the client preferences could not be opened, even after refresh. Once Retrospect was closed and restarted, then client showed up correctly.

The only other place on the forums that I have found anything like this error posted is for the Windows MultiServer version.

• Like 1

Writer "ASR Writer" backup failed, error -1001 ( unknown Windows OS error).

Are you seeing these errors on every backup or just some?

This error shows up from time to time on my logs. As far as I can tell from analysing these events they occur when a Windows Update is in progress at the same time as a backup. They most often occur when a backup is run just after Windows is started, or resumed from sleep, and [in the case of a Windows 8 Pro client] the Windows Update is creating a Restore Point as part of the update installation. (It has also occurred when Windows has created a routine Restore Point during a backup.)

I suspect that when Retrospect tries to access the ASR Writer it is being sent an error message by Windows, presumably that it is busy, which Retrospect does not understand.

I've never seen the T-7 errors before so can't give any input here.

• 1 month later...

This happens every time.  Client is awake and has been up all night prior to the backup running at 4:30 am.  No Windows updates are running, since those are set to notify and require me to start their installation by hand - just precisely because I do not want that going on when other things are supposed to be happening.  Client is running on an SSD, though that probably has not much to do with it.  It appears to be a known issue for clients with EFI motherboards. like this Lenovo T530 with the latest BIOS update installed.  See http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/ASR-Writer

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. This is not particularly relevant to you as you are getting errors every backup but if Windows Defender is enabled this will automatically update its definitions regardless of what Windows Update is set to do. It's the Windows Defender definitions updates that on occasion cause the VSS failures for me. I can't say for certain but when there is a failure a definitions update has been in progress at the same time.

• 10 months later...

This error still happening one year later with version 10.5.  No Windows Defender is running on the client.  Seems to be a problem with hidden system partition on Win 8 clients.  A number of other VSS backup vendors have similar errors reported by their users.

Yeah, I have this issue on *one* of my Windows 8.x clients (though mine is a "T-8: VssWSnapVolume: DoSnapshotSet failed" error.)

I was pointed to this:

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/3045-there-is-insufficient-storage-space-to-complete-the-operation-and-3405-can-backup-system-state

What I'm not sure about is why this one client generated a "System Reserved" partition with less free space on it than my other clients.    (I'm just ignoring this for now...)