Upgrade procedure Restrospect multiserver 7.7 -> 8.1

Hello all,

I’ll soon be updating our Retrospect server from 7.7 to 8.1 and was wondering what the correct procedure for this would be?

Is there anything I need to prepare beforehand before starting the install? What about actually installing it, should I remove 7.7 first and then install 8.1 or should I just install over the top? If I remove 7.7 beforehand will I lose anything? Is there anything I should do post install, any clean-up required?

Most of my systems are using the latest 7.7 clients, do I need to upgrade these to 8.x clients before they’ll work?

Also does anyone have tips that I should employ to ensure this goes as smoothly as possible?

Many thanks in advance.

Personally, although it's going to involve pain... I'd scrap 7.7 and rebuilt 8.1 from scratch (and I mean clear out all log/configuration folders). I upgraded from 7.7 to 8.0, then had huge problems, so rebuilt my config, then upgraded to 8.1 beta.. had problem and rebuild the configuration again, then upgraded to 8.1 'official' and am still having problems. I've had enough to rebuilding my backup system now and it's about time Retrospect fixed this ongoing config file corruption problem or provided a tool to repair it.

I'm now seeing things like clients not being able to see when they were last backed up, can't restore or see logs of previous backups etc. Grooms fails, constantly asking me to rebuild them and I get random network connection errrors making backups fail.

Richard

Upgrading from 7.7 to 8.1 is a smooth process. You do not need to uninstall 7.7; the 8.1 installer handles stopping the existing server and removing it, and there's no post-install cleanup work involved. That said, it's always a good idea to have a backup copy of your configs. Just copy Config77.dat to a safe location beforehand.

The 8.1 server works with 7.7, 8.0, and 8.1 Windows clients.

Feel free to contact our support team if you have any issues: http://retrospect.com/en/support/phone

@Richy_Boy We plan to address the configs issue soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...