Client connections fail after server reboot

etracer

I've found a repeatable pattern where client connections fail with error -530 ( backup client not found) messages if the backup server (2010 Mac Pro 12 core / 10.8.3 / Retrospect 10.1.0 (221)) has been rebooted. Attempting to refresh the source (clicking the "Refresh" button at the top of the Sources panel) results in the popup window "Source unavailable or is in use".

I've found that by causing a multicast to the network by simply clicking the add button (+) on the Sources panel causes all of the clients to show up as automatically found on the network. After causing this multicast search and then canceling out of the add source panel, the clients will then respond to backups and/or the refresh request.

So there's something about the process of searching for clients on the network that then allows the server to connect to the client even though the client was always available. Just to repeat, this only seems to happen after the server machine has been rebooted. Once the clients can be found they seem to be fine after that.

Some networking info as it may be related:

• The server and the clients are on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24)
  • The netmask for all machines is 255.255.248.0 (subnet range 192.168.0 - 192.168.7)
  • The server is a 2010 Mac Pro (10.8.3) with both gigabit NIC's in a LACP bond (link aggregated) to a managed HP switch (maybe the bonded connection is relevant?)
  • The server has no networking problems connecting to any other service/connection after a reboot other than the issue with Retrospect clients.
  • The server is running 10.1.0 (221) and the clients are also 10.1.0 (221).

The screenshot of the network panel in the Retrospect preferences is attached.

post-10380-0-40683800-1366554205_thumb.png

Does the server have a static IP address? I had a similar problem a few weeks ago when I moved my server (and all my clients) to a new subnet. Even though the clients were added by *hostname*, I think Retrospect cached the IP addresses instead. I had to readd all my clients to get them backing up again.

- Steve

Does the server have a static IP address? I had a similar problem a few weeks ago when I moved my server (and all my clients) to a new subnet. Even though the clients were added by *hostname*, I think Retrospect cached the IP addresses instead. I had to readd all my clients to get them backing up again.

Yes, the server and the clients all have static IP addresses. The clients were originally added using the browser (multicast query), not by manually specifiying a host name or IP address.

• 5 weeks later...

I can replicate your problem and your work-around here on my network as well. Issue is present on both an Xserve and a Mac Pro. Xserve used to have bonded ethernet connection, but I went back to a single connection hoping that would help. It did not. The other retrospect server is a MacPro. I have about 130 clients backed up by proactive scripts, and after a reboot the proactive backups do not run - I assume because the server does not see the clients. By going into Sources and clicking the "add" button and letting the list populate, communication to the clients is restored and proactive backups start working again.

I've also determined that stopping and restarting the Retrospect server process (from System Prefererences) usually resolves the problem.  So now I always try to remember to do this after a reboot.

It's almost like the Retrospect server process is starting up too soon during system initialization and networking is not fully ready.