Really basic R9 'search before restore' criteria question

Hi all

This is probably the dumbest, most basic question of all time...but this driving me up the wall.

Coming from R6, I'm used to being able to do easy multiple criteria searches of archive data prior to restores.

In the current case I want to execute the following 'search and restore':

I want to find and restore only the ".jpg" files that I archived in any folders that ended in "11-11" (ie: any jpegs that I archived in the month of November 2011).

Using the Search For Files & Folders To Restore option in R9, I'd have expected to build a search as follows:

Find files and folders where ALL of the following are true:

Folder > Name > Ends With > 11-11

File > Name > Ends With > .jpg

My problem? For the love of little green apples I can't get the ALL option to stick: it keeps resetting to ANY.

Any suggestions?

Also - and pushing the boat out further - is there anyway of displaying a figure for the number of files that are about to be restored? Again, R6 used to do this....

All help appreciated.

C

PS: Amy using R9.0.2 on a 10.6.8 XServe with a 16-slot Quantum Tape Library

This is probably the dumbest, most basic question of all time...but this driving me up the wall.

Coming from R6, I'm used to being able to do easy multiple criteria searches of archive data prior to restores.

No; what's dumb is that Retrospect abandoned many of the most useful features of the Retro 6 user interface in Retro 8/9/10.

My problem? For the love of little green apples I can't get the ALL option to stick: it keeps resetting to ANY.

Yes, you have discovered an anomaly in the current interface: you cannot change the highest level condition from ANY. You have to create a sublevel. If you hold down the option key, the "+" symbol changes to a "..."; clicking on this will generate a sublevel that by default should be an ALL condition, and in any case is changeable.

Also - and pushing the boat out further - is there anyway of displaying a figure for the number of files that are about to be restored? Again, R6 used to do this....

Not until the restore actually runs. You can then go to the Activities> Running window and sort of track the restore process.

• Like 1

Hi Mr T

Thanks that answers everything I needed. V much appreciated!

You are right in your comment: for Retrospect to drop those features seems crazy and - obviously - is something I wouldn't have expected.

Here's to hoping for some changes :-)

C