Make Catalog Without Backup

Hello all:

I'm using Retrospect 4.3 on a Mac with OS 9.0. I usually use a DAT drive for backups, but now also have a CD burner not supported by Retrospect.

What I've been doing is writing various files to CD-R dics as an additional safeguard against file loss. But I have a hard time finding files on them.

Is there any way to use Retrospect to make a catalog of the original files on my HD before writing to the CD-Rs, without having to actually back the files up?

Thanks again; you've been a great help.

Maybe I'm just a little dense at the moment. However, page 178 doesn't mention the "No Files" selector. Perhaps we have different versions of the manual. But I now know to look for the "No Files" selector. I found mention of it on page 184 and 86.

Using this new info I made a "Backup Set" using "No Files," and ran it after selecting a folder with many sub-folders as my source. When I went to the "Reports" tab and clicked on "Contents," selecting this new catalog, it said that it "appears empty." I also tried this with the "Macintosh File" selected. Still no go.

What I want is a list of files/folders so I can search the catalog and find certain files, then I'll know what CD to look for to get those files. So far I don't see that happening. What am I missing?

Thanks again! :-)

So you pick your entire drive as your source.

You pick your destination backupset.

You then pick no files for selectors.

After that you went to reports. Instead go to Configure/Backupsets Click on your backupset and click on Properties (windows) or Configure (MAC). Then go to the Snapshots screen. Click on the snapshot that you just created and click on browse. From there you should see a snapshot of the files.

Darn.

Following your exact description ("Configure" > "Backup Sets") I get to a window with 3 tabs: "Summary," "Options," "Snapshots." I click on "Snapshots" and select the drive. The only choice I see is "Delete" and a grayed-out "Add." No "Browse" that I can see. Even looked in the menus. Double-clicking didn't help.

Perhaps we have different versions? I mentioned in my original post that I'm using v4.3 for Mac OS (9.0).

I just did some testing of this and some pondering.

::Stumpt me::

wow. ok. This works on the PC side of Retrospect (the one I was using). This doesn't work on the MAC side - the one I just tried it with. There is no way to generate a list of the files on your harddrive, using Retrospect on the MAC side. I am sorry about that. I really thought this function in Retrospect was the same on both platforms. But it isn't. No way to browse an entire drive snapshot, nor get a snapshot that includes ALL files, even those not backed up.

Archived