8.0 vs 8.1 Pre-Release

lunadesign

I've been on 8.0 for over a month and get the "Assertion failure at grx.cpp-1089" crash on roughly every other Groom operation. I hear the 8.1 pre-release (see this Knowledge Base post for details) fixes this and some other items but am nervous about using a pre-release version. I've also heard the official 8.1 release isn't targeted until end of quarter but can't wait that long with all the catalog rebuilds I'm having to do to recover from Groom crashes.

Question: For those of you that have installed the 8.1 pre-release, how is it going? Is it better / more stable than 8.0?

• Like 1

I, too, have seen many grooming errors in 8.0. I decided to do this update yesterday after I saw your post and I've been running my backups continuously since then - they are still proceeding, but so far no problems that I can see.

I recycled all my backup sets and I have the file copy verification after backup set, so this takes a while.

Prior to the install I uninstalled 8.0 and did a custom install of the 8.1 pre-beta. I just installed the basic backup stuff - no report watcher, insta-scan or backup scripts.

I am running Windows 8 with Media Center (64-bit) and used the 64-bit Retrospect installer.

You might want to check related posts in the Server, SBS and Multi Server forum. In general 8.1 beta is more stable than 8.0 release. However installing is not as easy as release software (especially with the clients). Instant Scan is problematic. For correct function of Retrospect 8.1 I recommend disabling Instant Scan services.