Exclusions Randomly Not Being Followed - Daily (Normal Backup)

HawkInOz

Using Retrospect 8 Professional. Backing up two local drives (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and one remote drive (Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit).

Created this exclusion (one of fourteen exclusions total in this Script):

"name of folder contains kaspersky lab, selecting all enclosed items"

Last backup finished with three errors. Heres an excerpt from the Operations Log:

Using Instant Scan

File "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\rollback\general\bases\as\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\rollback\general\bases\as\pas5\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\rollback\general\bases\wmuf\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

1/28/2013 1:34:41 AM: Snapshot stored, 243.5 MB

1/28/2013 1:34:47 AM: 3 execution errors

I've tried changing "contains" to "match" and "match pattern" with similar results. All 14 exclusions are separated by "or". I have no "and" exclusions created. I have not selected "Match case" in any of my exclusions.

I also have experienced similar problems randomly with other exclusions on a daily basis, with the errors always referring to a location that should be excluded. I'm trying to keep the logs clean except when there's really an error to investigate, but it seems impossible to do that with the exclusions not being reliably followed. I have yet to have a backup using Version 8 complete with Errors, Warnings = 0,0. Any ideas why? Thanks.

Two suggestions:

- If you want to exclude the folders you show in your log the exclusion should be:

"path contains Kaspersky Lab"

because in a path like "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\rollback\general\bases\as\"

the folder name is "as" and this does not meet your exclusion criteria.

- You should respect upper- and lowercase letters "Kaspersky Lab" in stead of "kaspersky lab"

Two suggestions:

- If you want to exclude the folders you show in your log the exclusion should be:

"path contains Kaspersky Lab"

because in a path like "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\rollback\general\bases\as\"

the folder name is "as" and this does not meet your exclusion criteria.

- You should respect upper- and lowercase letters "Kaspersky Lab" in stead of "kaspersky lab"

I'm sorry, but I believe you are absolutely wrong on both counts:

(1) The exclusion includes: "selecting all enclosed items" which should mean that everything from "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\" on down should be excluded. I want to exclude directories in multiple locations (C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData, etc. on several drives), and I should not have to enter a static "Path" for each and every one of them if the single exclusion actually works properly. I did try removing the "name" exclusion and adding a "path" exclusion, but the results were identical.

(2) The exclusion does not select "Match case" - so capitalization should not matter at all. If I wanted to enter "KaSpErSKy LaB" - that should work equally as well without "Match case" selected. If it does not, then it is broken. Running "Check Selector" correctly shows the desired results, with all the folders I don't want backed up deselected. So, why does Retrospect attempt to access them anyway during the actual backup? I did try changing "kaspersky lab" to "Kaspersky Lab", which did not change the results. In fact, it resulted in six times as many errors as the backup before it with all lowercase in the exclusion.

The fact still remains that this is not my only exclusion, and at times it works brilliantly - while unfortunately another exclusion will then fail to work as it should. The randomness of these exclusions working properly or failing to work is the frustrating issue that I would like to see addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had it beat when I checked the box next to "Configure >Preferences > Clients > Allow Clients to: Exclude items from backups". The documentation seemed to indicate that this would only affect backup locations actually using the client, but I got clean backups three days in a row after checking it. I had wanted it unchecked to make sure nobody accidentally added exclusions on the client workstations I'm backing up. Plus, the errors had always been on local drives, and never on the client drives. However, last night the execution errors on five excluded directories on the host resurfaced. I've changed the Retrospect Instant Scan service's Startup Type from Automatic to Manual as you have suggested, and will reboot and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

After changing the Retrospect Instant Scan service's Startup Type from Automatic to Manual, the first backup completed without errors. Unfortunately, each one after was back to the same issue of 16+ errors resulting from it attempting to access excluded locations. I then changed the Retrospect Instant Scan service's Startup Type from Manual to Disabled and then rebooted, but the log from each subsequent backup still states "Using Instant Scan" each time, and the results are unchanged. Is there a better way to disable or completely remove the Retrospect Instant Scan service, if you believe it would be beneficial to do so?