Inplace Update from 7.7 to 8.0

Hi Community,

I didn't found an upgrade instruction from Retrospect Version 7.7 to Version 8.0. Is it possibile to perform an inplace updgrade over the existing installation? And second, is it necessary to update the clients (Windows and Linux) instantly or does it work with the previous version as well for a while?

Thx & Bye Tom

Hi Lennart,

Historically, the answers to both your questions has been "yes". I think that is the case here, too.

thanks for your attention and quick reply. But the second question is an "(either) or" question, the yes belongs to which part of the question? :)

Thx & Bye Tom

Yes to both. You need the 8.0 clients to work with RS 8.0 Server. You can install over the top, but make sure you rebuild your catalog files on all backup sets before trying to use them in anger.

Also, I'd HIGHLY recommend you get the 8.1 update for both server and client, else it'll crash every time you try and groom a backup set! :( NOTE: The 8.1 client (which fixes some bugs doesn't NOT have an upgrade file, so you will need to manually install all clients on your network - rather than pushing an update to all connected clients)

Useful link: http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/grx-assert/?l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

I hope that helps...

Richard