Instant Scan is preventing USB drive safe removal

Hofstede

For some time I had the problem that I could never safely remove an external USB drive from my computer before unplugging. First I thought it was a Windows 8 problem. Today I had time to further troubleshoot this and now it turns out it is the Retrospect Instant Scan service that does not release the drive on an eject request. If I stop the service or exclude the external USB drive letter in the retroisa.ini file everything works ok. Personally I think that the Instant Scan service should not even scan external USB drives. Or maybe Retrospect should add an option to specify which drives should be scanned. In my case only scanning C:\ would be sufficient. To prevent occasionally plugged in external drives from being scanned I would have to exclude drive letters D: though Z:

• 3 months later...

I asked because I was wondering if it was a wireless mouse with a mode switching USB receiver for driver/software installation. The thought being RetroISA was seeing this and trying to scan it.

Is your KVM configured for one mouse to serve two PCs? Have you tried connecting the mouse directly to the PC running Retrospect to eliminate the KVM from the equation.