Getting Alot Of Errors On Restores

thezzapper

I recently installed Retrospect 8 on a new Dell XPS 8500 with Windows 8 64-bit Professional. As a long time user of Restrospect, I was quite startled to discover my external backups will not complete to the new internal drives. I am getting a lot of errors as follows: TPCFile::SetShortName: USetFileShortName failed, L:\May_2011\laurent garnier - it is what it is - may 29, 2011 (thezzapper).mp3, osErr 305, error -1001

MapError: unknown Windows error 305. I googled around the net & could not find any help. Anyone have any ideas?

• 3 months later...

When I restored my backup files, My Retrospedt 8 log indicated the same message as thezzapper. SortName...(miss some letters)..., osErr 305, error -1001. I run regedit and cheked dot3NameCreation in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. The Value is 2. So I would like to know what value is effective to solve this probrem. OS: Windows8 MB: Asus P6T WS PRO SATA: Restore from WDC WD4001FAEX to SGT ST2000DM001x3 (Raid0 on LSI 9440-8i). All Backup files copied from NAS Drive to the internal drive and remake the catalogue file from backup files.

From the article referenced in the second post a value of "0" will give the most application compatibility with short file names being created on all volumes. A setting of "2" results in short file names only being written to volumes that have been set to have short file names written to them.