Retrospect 8 - Windows 7 (64-bit) error -1101

arachnaut

I have been using Retrospect 7.7 but today just installed the new trial version of Retrospect 8 for Windows 7 (64-bit).

I went through the install, made a few minor changes to my previous scripts and started to run the system backup script.

It is still running, but I see these errors being logged:

+ Normal backup using System at 2012-11-06 1:18 PM

To Backup Set System...

- 2012-11-06 1:18:38 PM: Copying System (C:)

Using Instant Scan

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches\{AFBF9F1A-8EE8-4C77-AF34-C647E37CA0D9}.1.ver0x0000000000000358.db": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thm8121.tmp": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thm8122.tmp": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thm8123.tmp": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thm8124.tmp": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thm8125.tmp": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thm8126.tmp": can't read, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

File "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\": can't read security information, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

The selector I am using for the backup is 'All Files Except for Cache Files' and these seem to be cache files.

I never saw this in Retrospect 7.

• Like 1

After a bunch of restarts, I managed to halt Retrospect before it could start the groom and I recycled all my backup sets and restarted the backups. It seems to be proceeding well, but I have a long way to go. I have not noticed any significant speed increase from 7.7, and, in fact, the Explorer shell is rather unresponsive while Retrospect runs, even though it is using just one core.

Also, the notification area icon does not seem to appear.

The assert error you are getting is almost always caused by a corrupt catalog file, that was probably corrupted during a prior grooming operation that failed. A catalog rebuild should fix the problem.

This FAQ document should help with the RetroISA performance questions:

http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/Retrospect-InstaScan-FAQ/

http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/RetroISA-Advanced-Options/

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of any failed grooming, but I have encountered failures while grooming before.

Usually the older the backup set and the more it has been groomed, the more likely this may fail, so I usually recycle the backup set once or twice a year.

This disk volume is used to hold all my audio libraries which are large and seldom change, but also the audio projects that change constantly.

i have the same error. one device has a dead SSD. i started the BU restore and it died half way through. now i can't retore it at all as it complains it can't see the RDB file.

the NAS is mounted and i can point it to the files. Then it complains that it does not have permission.(;

i CANT re generate the catalog as i am trying to restore to end device. How can i get this fixed!

please help

• 1 month later...

Please contact Support regarding both error -1101 and grooming assertion failures so that we can follow up on your specific situation.

In general, a large number of error -1101 with Retrospect 8 is likely related to how the Instant Scan feature functions. Support can provide a pre-release that resolves Instant Scan related error -1101, and certain cases of grooming assertion failures.

Aside from error 1101, thousands of them, all related to deleted files, I'm also seeing thousands of error 641 also on files that don't exist. This all started immediately upon installation of Retrospect 8.0. Before that I used Retrospect 7.7 for years without similar problems. Messages left at tech support take weeks to get a response, so at least that hasn't changed, thank goodness.

• 5 months later...

The pre-release version appears to resolve the problem so far - no more -2241 and -1101 errors, once you rebuild your catalog with the 8.2 beta.  So you have 3 choices - wait, downgrade to 7.7, or write a script to rebuild your catalog early and often.  The update can't happen fast enough!  And while they are at it, perhaps the Mac version can be cured of this disease as well.