Compatibility with new OS Lion (10.7.5) and Mountain Lion (10.8.2) releases

Mayoff, 10.7.5 introduced Gatekeeper, so may be you should update the article you linked to.

I am deeply concerned that Retrospect is advocating disabling the security for user computers.

Gatekeeper has been a known "feature" of 10.8 for quite some time. Now that it's introduced into 10.7.5 I think some revisiting is necessary.

A co-worker replied to my notification with this sage advice:

What they should suggest users do is control-click the app and choose Open which will bypass the Gatekeeper setting without requiring users to disable it first.

Or even better, they should update their software. Gatekeeper app signing has been a known thing for quite some time now.

• Like 1

Or even better, they should update their software. Gatekeeper app signing has been a known thing for quite some time now.

I would heartily concur. Why would Retrospect be in the position to advocate setting the user up for unlicensed software?

Gatekeeper is there for a reason, as the name implies- prevention of parasitic, unknown, possibly virus-infected, modified software from being accidentally or mistakenly installed. This problem has been noted elsewhere as a growing one. One that the after market AV guys seem to have trouble with.

While I would agree that it throws a blanket over a big problem, it's a small cost to prevent it that to eradicate. Almost anything that helps prevent accidental user mistakes, in a passive (to the user) way, without slowing down the system operation deserves consideration rather than bypass (Apple could have made the bypass more difficult, perhaps should have). Moreover, this has already been supported by a large number of software authors, big and small who've gone through the registration process so unregistered versions can be detected. Why not Retrospect? It is not in their latest release, obviously, but what about in plans for the next one?

A developmental announcement of intent would help greatly. With Gatekeeper being retroactively applied to Lion, that should be even more reason to put it on the Retrospect 'bucket list.'

• Like 1