Still seeing RAM issues with 5.0.205

I leave my copies of Retrospect 5.0.2.05 running 24x7 in "backup server" mode to back up about 75 machines once a week on 4 different CPUs (3 G4/533s with 384M RAM, one G3/450 with 512M RAM -- all running 10.1.4 and Retro 5.0.205 and nothing else.)

I'm still experiencing the excessive memory allocated to "LaunchCFMA": right now, I rebooted one on Friday and "top" is showing 88.4M after running some backups (which I'd expect), but for the other three: another is showing 303M, another is showing 916M and the 4th -- which is running really slow) is showing 950M RAM (!) all allocated to "LaunchCFMA".

I'm having to reboot them once a week to clear the machines up.

5.0.205 (or 5.0.203, right?) was supposed to address the RAM issue, but it seems not to be doing so.

Am I the only one still seeing this "memory leak"?

In reply to:

I'm still experiencing the excessive memory allocated to "LaunchCFMA": right now, I rebooted one on Friday and "top" is showing 88.4M after running some backups (which I'd expect), but for the other three: another is showing 303M, another is showing 916M and the 4th -- which is running really slow) is showing 950M RAM (!) all allocated to "LaunchCFMA"

Top shows a lot of information; which column shows the numbers you're giving?

>>5.0.205 (or 5.0.203, right?) was supposed to address the RAM issue, but it seems not to be doing so

From what I read on MacFixIt when it was released the first update was supposed to fix a memory leak in the RetroRun process (while the second update was apparently to address a problem introduced in the first!). LaunchCFMApp was mentioned only as a cause of this leak in RetroRun, not as a place that was leaking too.

Note that other programs also use LaunchCFMApp; one might expect to see multiple listings of this process in Top if you run multiple programs that use it.

Dave

>>Top shows a lot of information; which column shows the numbers you're giving?

The "vsize" column

>>Note that other programs also use LaunchCFMApp; one might expect to see multiple listings of this process in Top if you run multiple programs that use it.

"LaunchCFMApp" is only used by Carbon programs. There are no other programs running except Retrospect 5.0.205 on any of my backup machines -- I even have software update turned off.

In reply to:

>>Top shows a lot of information; which column shows the numbers you're giving?

The "vsize" column

A more important reading would be RSIZE, wich is the actual RAM usage. VSIZE is virtual memory size. I don't know if that number referes to swap-in or swap-out file size (perhaps someone with greater unix knowldege then I contribute here?), and I doubt that huge numbers are good, but perhaps this is something other then a 'memory leak' in the traditional sense?

Dave

Archived