I have a straighforward configuation: a Mac running OS X 10.3.3 (and Retrospect 6.0.178) on a local network that includes a 1TB Snap Server. I've set up an easy script backup that includes a backup set accessible via FTP on the Snap server. Running the script fails with the 225 error.

BTW, I have Retrospect running on Windows, successfully backing up to the Snap Server.

Originally, I'd set the Mac backup to not use FTP; very quickly, I encountered the 2GB AppleTalk limit (Dantz tech support helped me) and so changed the backup set to write via FTP. I know I can talk to the Snap server via FTP because 1) upon setting up the backupset, one can enter the user name/password/ip and then browse the server in Retrospect and 2) using ftp via the Mac's terminal, I can indeed ftp to that very directory, and happily put files.

Tech support was not very helpful the second time. I did search all the online help before I called (suggesting I veryify things via a third party FTP), but all they could note is that Retrospect only uses active FTP. Ok, there's a way to force active ftp (sudo ipfw add 2300 allow tcp from any 20,21 to any 1024-65535 in for the firewall, and the one has to click a specific item in the sharing/proxies setting on the mac). I verifyied that I could FTP to the Snap server via both active and passive FTP (you can force active mode by starting with ftp -A <ip address>

Still the transfer fails with the 225 error. I'm at a total loss of what to do...any suggestions?

Nate,

Thanks, but I'd already read that knowledge base entry, which led me to try ftp-ing from my Mac to my SnapServer using the Mac's terminal connection. I'm able to put a file from the Mac to the Snap using both active AND passive ftp, and using the very same username/password as I've set in my Retrospect script. I just ran it again, and I get:

- 4/6/2004 9:35:56 AM: Copying feynman projects...

> Device trouble: "feynman_backup" error 225 (FTP: no write privileges, bad name, or disk full).

4/6/2004 9:36:06AM: Execution incomplete.

Retrospect is running on a Mac with OS 10.3.3 and is backing up to a 1TB Snap Server running its latest OS release, so by no means is this a funky, unusual, out-of-the-box configuration (and I've seen on both Snap and Dantz sites mention of use of both client and server as I have). Oh, BTW, I've set ACLs on my SnapServer so that all users have full control (the SnapServer is a captive device behind my firewall, and I and my wife are the only users, so there's no need for any onerous, restrictive privileges...my cat's haven't quite mastered the hacking my network yet, so I figure I'm safe for a little while, as long as I don't leave any O'Reilly books laying around).

Grady

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. I've tried using both 5.0 and 6.0 of Retrospect for Mac. The source and destination computer both are using OSX 10.3.4. FTP is active on the destination (server) and I can connect to the server from the terminal using ftp. I've also tried to backup to different volumes. No luck.

I have the same problem, and have the paid support contract. They basically directed me to the same tech note #27256 that Nate indicated and implied that "if I follow those instructions it should work". Unfortunately the only useful insrcutions are firewall related which is not my issue.

If it doesn't work with the built in Mac FTP server they should save us a lot of anguish and say so. If it does work they should tell us the configuration steps.

Oh well, I guess I'm off to search for a shaeware FTP server to run under OS/X.

Archived