Help, can not backup one computer!

I am running a network of 5 Macs and 1 PC all running Mac OS 10.3.3 and XP Pro with Retrospect 6.

I am backing up the network to an external Lacie FireWire 800 drive attached to a 2Ghz G5. All computers backup just fine except one G4. I try to do an immediate backup of this one machine and I keep getting this following message:

‘ A Error!!! Scanning incomplete, error –43 (file/folder not found) OK‘ I deleted this client out, re-added it and created a new backup set a dozen times to no avail. Please help, any suggestions? This is the most vital machine on the network!

I don't recognise the particular error, so a couple of general suggestions.

Sometimes a problem with a client is because the hard disk on the client has problems, so it is important to run whatever disk tools you have available (whether that is Disk Utility, or whatever).

Hopefully however the problem is just one file or folder. You can define some Subvolumes on the problem client and try backing those up one by one, if one fails and all the others work then the problem lies within that subvolume. A (somewhat tedious but efficient) process of elimination will let you narrow down the problem area.

Archived