My Windows client keeps crashing

I just upgraded to Retrospect 6 for the Mac from 5.0. I'm running OS X 10.3.3. I've installed Windows Client 6.5 on a networked Windows XP Home machine. I am attempting to do my usual backup of the Windows machine which is a file backup to an external Firewire hard drive connected to my Mac. I created a new backup set and attempted to perform my usual backup which is ordinarily done in 3 sessions. (With the increased speed of v.6 I will be able to do the backup in 1 session from now on, which will be nice.)

In two of the three sessions (which are about 14 GB each) I encountered an error 519, which is described as "network communication failed." In the first session, the Windows machine inexplicably shut down and rebooted. In the third session, the Windows machine just froze up. The second session was significantly smaller in size than the other two and went smoothly. The loss of communication occurs during the compare phase, not the copying phase of the backup.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might resolve this problem?

Also, is there any way to activate just the compare phase so I can be sure that the files that were copied are accurate - or do I have to create a new backup set and start all over again - and possibly encounter the same problem all over again?

Hi

Freezes and hangs like that on Windows clients generally indicate a network driver problem or OS level problems. I would uninstall/reinstall the network card on the client machine and see if that helps. Apply any available updates too of course.

You may also want to look into a BIOS update for the client machine.

Thanks

Nate

Nate, thanks for the response. My motherboard has onboard networking so no card is involved. Also, the networking software and the BIOS are all the most currently available.

Overnight I was able to perform a new backup from scratch without the Windows machine crashing. I'd reinstalled the latest version of the Retrospect Windows client software beforehand. This may have taken care of the problem, but it's too early to tell just yet.

I did a second full backup to another external hard drive overnight and all went well again. It looks like the Client upgrade did the trick. But I will keep the network card drivers in mind if this problem ever occurs again.

BTW, the speed increase over v5 is phenomenal. It used to take me 3 overnight sessions of about 6 hours each to perform this backup. It now takes under 4 hours total with v6. Of course, the fact that the Windows machine has been upgraded from a 2 GHz to a 3 GHz processor may also have some bearing as well. And I may have had some compression going on - which I no longer use - but I can't say for sure whether I was using compression or not with v5. In any case, the Retrospect 6 speed improvement is amazing and quite welcome.

Archived