no client password option?!

I just upgraded from Desktop to Workgroup (at considerable expense), in order to have a client or two (Retrospect used to come with three clients!).

Anyway, attempting to log in my wife's Performa 5215 running OS 7.6.1 (don't laugh), I can't do so without a client password. But I have run the Client install program a couple of times and get NO OPTION to create a password. Nor is there a password option in the Client control panel.

Otherwise, the client looks ready. What's the problem?

/Lynn

Delete the Retrospect Client

Restart the computer

Reinstall the Retrospect Client, you will be prompted for the password this time.

Complete the install

Restart again.

Login the client using that password.

If you run the installer, while the client currently exists in memory, it won't prompt for a password.

Thanks very much--that worked! The client is 'ready' and shows that it is 'responding' on the backup computer.

BUT, for some reason Retrospect can't find the client when it runs my backup script. The log returns the message,'Can't access volume ____ on ______. General error'.

I've checked the script, and the client configuration; TCP/IP is on and shows on the client control panel. The client computer volume (drive) shows up on the backup computer desktop, so I know the network is working.

So what could be the problem?

/Lynn

Problem solved--deleted client from script ('forget'), and re-identified it as a Source. Now Retrospect sees it.

If the manual warned us to do this with clients in old scripts, I didn't see it.

/Lynn

Archived