Retrospect 6 not quitting after unattended backup

I am running Retrospect 6.0 on a G4 with Mac OS X 10.3.2. I have set Retrospect preferences so that when unattended backups complete, than the system will shut down. My backup device is a HP Surestore DAT24 and the SCSI card to which it is connected is a Apaptec 2930CU.

When the backup is completed, any Retrospect backup errors are shown in in a separate window. Then the little gear windows are shown turning, while it begins its quit routine. The quitting takes about 1-2 minutes longer than the allowed shutdown period that the OS allows (which is 120 seconds). Therefore, Retrospect finishes quitting about 1-2 minutes after the OS notifies me that the shutdown has been canceled.

About 1-2 minutes before Retrospect finshies quitting, a Mac OS system error message appears that says: “Log out has timed out because the application Retrospect has failed to quit. To try again, quit Retrospect and choose log out from the Apple menu.” If I check the “OK” button in the dialogue box, Retrospect will finish quitting within another minute or two, and I can then shut the computer down.

This delayed quitting time only occurs after I do a backup, as I have about 350,000 files. If I just start up retrospect and then quit it without doing a backup, it quits promptly.

I would like the computer to shut down by itself when an scripted unattended backup completes. If anyone has an idea of what is causing this, please let me know.

Thanks.

--bob22

Archived