Archos removable Mini HD and Windows XP Woes

Hi,

I purchased a Archos Mini HD 20Gb removable drive a few days ago. I am running Windows XP Home. As regards the Hardware end of things Windows sees the Mini Drive in explorer and I am able to save to the drive in Explorer.

My mini drive came bundled with Restrospect Express 5.6.132. I created my backup set selected my backup volumes but when it comes to selecting a drive to perform the backup on...There is none listed. Restrospect doesnt seem to see anything. When I choose tools - configure - devices, it says "No devices found"....hmmmm

Can anyone help me in my hour of need has anyone had a similar experience??

Slan

Fergal

Retrospect is able to make use of space available on external USB, FireWire, SCSI, or IDE hard drives for backup. Once the drive can be accessed within Windows Explorer it can be used as a backup destination. The external hard drive will not show up in Configure > Devices.

To use a hard drive for backup, you have two options: either back up to a file backup set stored on the hard drive or do a duplicate of your source hard drive to your backup hard drive.

File Backup Sets

A file backup set is a single file which contains all the files you have backed up, and that can be stored on any random access device. Like tape or removable disk backup sets, you do incremental backups to it and it supports software data compression. The drawback to a file backup set stored on a hard drive is that hard drives are not removable media and cannot easily be stored off-site for safe-keeping. USB or IEEE 1394 (Firewire) drives that are hot-swappable offer greater flexibility in this. Incorporating more than one backup drive allows for true media rotation, increasing the security of your backup strategy.

File backup sets are limited to the maximum file size allowed by the file system used to format the disk:

o FAT: 2 GB

o FAT32: 4 GB

o NTFS: 1 TB

To do a backup to a file backup set, choose "Create New" from within Configure>Backup Sets. From within the backup set creation window, set the "Storage Type" to "File". Name the backup set, click New, and save it on your destination hard drive. When doing your immediate or scheduled backup, select the newly created backup set as your destination.

Duplicate

Retrospect offers another option for copying data to a hard disk; the duplicate feature.

The first duplicate operation will copy all files from the source volume, keeping them in Windows format. Subsequent duplicate operations will be incremental, copying and replacing files that have been modified or are new. Identical files are not copied again.

The Duplicate function can be accessed from the Immediate tab or a Duplicate script can be set up for automated operation.

What is the difference between Backup and Duplicate?

o Backup copies files in a proprietary format only accessible using Retrospect. Duplicate copies files in standard file format so they can be opened or used right on the backup disk without having to go through Retrospect.

o Backups offer optional compression, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups offer optional encryption, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups can save old data incrementally so files deleted from the source are still available in the backup. Duplicate basically keeps a mirror image of the source so each duplicate operation overwrites previous data and only retains the current files.

o Backups can span multiple pieces of media. Duplicates are always a one-to-one operation; one volume is duplicated to one volume. If you have multiple volumes to duplicate you will have to create an empty folder on the destination for each disk you wish to copy. You can then define those empty folders as "Subvolumes" from within Retrospect. This will allow you to copy Source volume #1 to Subvolume #1 and Source volume #2 into Subvolume #2. The Retrospect User's Guide contains detailed instructions on how to configure a folder as a Subvolume.

Retrospect Express for Windows does not copy the registry during the "Duplicate" operations, only during Backup.

There is also an excellent tutorial outlining the process for using a file backup set on our website at:

<http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=tutorial_winrex_ibhd1>

Archived