compatibility?..

I have Retrospect v6.5 for XP (not Express, but I did receive copies of Express when I bought my HP-Compaq PC - v5.5). As well, connected to my little home-type network is a Mac Titanium G4 PowerBook (pre-Intel) and 2 printers. I am wondering whether I can back up the PC and Mac from the same version (either 6.5 or 5.5) to my Ethernet-connected 2 TB NAS (Western Digital My Book Live 2TB Personal Cloud Storage) - also connected to the same private network. The PC has 2GB of RAM and is powered by an Intel 3.39GHz Pentium Processor - 2 internal SATA drives and an external Iomega 60GB drive. I know the software is ancient by computer standards, but I would like to use what I have. My alternative is Norton's Ghost (2003) but it will not back up to a network drive unless the back up is an image (as far as I can tell). Suggestions?

Also, since I do not have a dedicated server, will the PC be a server of a client (for Retrospect install purposes)?

Thanks,

ab

• Like 1

The PC on which you install the main Retrospect program will be the 'server', and the Mac will be a client. If the NAS volume is visible to Windows as a standard network share, you should be able to use it to store a "Disk" type backup set, which will be the destination for your backups.

Which version of Mac OS are you running? I am assuming either 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard). It appears that Retrospect 6.5 was still current when OS X 10.4 was released, so there's probably a good chance of 10.4 being a supported client. I don't know about 10.5, although it may well work (perhaps with a newer version of the Mac client software).

You can download updates for v6.5 here:

http://www.roxio.com...t/archived.html

The PC on which you install the main Retrospect program will be the 'server', and the Mac will be a client. If the NAS volume is visible to Windows as a standard network share, you should be able to use it to store a "Disk" type backup set, which will be the destination for your backups.

Which version of Mac OS are you running? I am assuming either 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard). It appears that Retrospect 6.5 was still current when OS X 10.4 was released, so there's probably a good chance of 10.4 being a supported client. I don't know about 10.5, although it may well work (perhaps with a newer version of the Mac client software).

Thanks for the quick return. The Mac is running OS 10.4...still running due to compatibility issues of the currently installed software...but all is running good. Again, thanks. ab

Yet again...since the PC is to be the server, can it back itself up? I can see the Mac as being the client, but...I was under the impression that a computer could not back itself up because of all the, in this case, system files in use...I remember something that goes...can't back up an open file...or something...

The PC can definitely back itself up.

There is an "Open File Backup" feature that should take care of any open files. It is included for free with the "Professional" version of Retrospect, but a paid add-on for the "Server" versions (Single Server, etc). Which of these do you have?